The order of beer you drink... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The order of beer you drink...

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
r2eng

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Eagle, Idaho, Idaho
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Beer pairings with food are great, but I noticed the order that you drink different beers really affects their flavors. I have recently been doing some experimentation...

What turned me on to this was a while ago I had a beer, don't remember which it was, and then drank a Stone IPA (which I normally love). The Stone tasted like crap! It got me thinking: what beers should not be drank after others?

Tonight I had a Winterhook (yum), followed by a Paulaner Octoberfest, followed by a Hales Mongoose IPA. Great progression! Each brought out the best in the next.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with the order of beers you drink?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I haven't ever noticed that, but I tend to pick a style, and stick with it through the session.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

When sampling many beer in an evening it's best to go from malty to hoppy in progression. If you drink an IIPA then follow it up with a Southern English Brown (or any other malt focused style), that brown just isn't going to taste right.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Feb 2007
NEK, VT
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Lot's of other factors can be involved too. I have been having great issue with this lately. Foods you eat, medicines you take, illness etc. can all mess with your tastebuds and olfactory senses. Can make a beer that you normally love downright unpalatable. Plus factor in poorly stored beers or off-batches...

Then there is always the problem of being a supertaster!

Yes, it does take some forethought to properly enjoy multiple beers. Who knew it was such hard work to drink?!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 AM   #5
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Closter, NJ
Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

I usually like to stick to one beer whenever I drink. However, if I decide to have a couple different ones I tend to have the ones with more hops last since they have a stronger taste and over power the other beers imo.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 10-24-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
aliu630
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Irvine, CA

The few times I tasted a few brews, I went from low alchy to high. Worked out pretty good.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
BrianTheBrewer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
San Diego CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like most above I tend to stick to the brew I start off with. If I start the evening with a stout or a brown I usually stay on the dark side, if I go with a Kolsch or a Golden Ale I stick to the light brew.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 10-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I tend to go malty to hoppy, low abv to high, light to dark. Those types of things. Order of intensity really.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
r2eng

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Eagle, Idaho, Idaho
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I agree on the malty to hoppy, but in this case the types of malt used changed the taste of the IPA (last to drink)... pretty interesting!