Did I ruin my first batch? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Did I ruin my first batch?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
GroovePuppy
 
GroovePuppy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Posts: 1,734
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



My first attempt at producing children is leaving an off-taste. Should I let them ferment out, bottle them off to college and see how they turn out or should I toss the whole batch for adoption and free up my fermentor for a second attempt?

I think I stored my yeast at too high a temperature. Either that or the yeast is too old. My wife says I pitched too early bit I think she's just being mean.
__________________
Primary - I'm on a break dammit!!!!
Secondary - sold it!
Kegged - Commercial beer

Yet Another Keezer Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
RC0032
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,133
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


Send them to college and try again. This time pitch late and large!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


RDWHAHB!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
GroovePuppy
 
GroovePuppy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Posts: 1,734
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Send them to college and try again. This time pitch late and large!
My problem is that on brewing day I get over-excited and I pitch before I realize. It's a while before I can get myself ready to re-pitch. Should I make a starter in advance and store it in the refrigerator? I don't think I can fill a 2L soda bottle.
__________________
Primary - I'm on a break dammit!!!!
Secondary - sold it!
Kegged - Commercial beer

Yet Another Keezer Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Bedlam
 
Bedlam's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Posts: 1,021
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts


Could be that you have an infectious process going on. That's what I attribute most off-flavors to, anyway. Some wild yeast drifting in the batch and taking over, methinks. Use more sanitizer and control the process more tightly.
__________________
-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
GroovePuppy
 
GroovePuppy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Posts: 1,734
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Could be that you have an infectious process going on. That's what I attribute most off-flavors to, anyway. Some wild yeast drifting in the batch and taking over, methinks. Use more sanitizer and control the process more tightly.
Wild yeast? Crap. I need some sort of locking device on my primary?
__________________
Primary - I'm on a break dammit!!!!
Secondary - sold it!
Kegged - Commercial beer

Yet Another Keezer Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
My problem is that on brewing day I get over-excited and I pitch before I realize. It's a while before I can get myself ready to re-pitch. Should I make a starter in advance and store it in the refrigerator? I don't think I can fill a 2L soda bottle.
I think the problem was you pitched when it was too hot! If you just hadn't had such a vigorous boil going?? I'm sure this batch will be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
GroovePuppy
 
GroovePuppy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Posts: 1,734
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHause View Post
I think the problem was you pitched when it was too hot! If you just hadn't had such a vigorous boil going?? I'm sure this batch will be fine.
I sure hope so. It was mellowing nicely but seems to have developed a snotty "teenage" attitude. Can I do anything to relieve the bitterness? Dry hop? Finings? Clip 'round the ear?
__________________
Primary - I'm on a break dammit!!!!
Secondary - sold it!
Kegged - Commercial beer

Yet Another Keezer Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
I sure hope so. It was mellowing nicely but seems to have developed a snotty "teenage" attitude. Can I do anything to relieve the bitterness? Dry hop? Finings? Clip 'round the ear?
Snotatude is a tough one. Place in a cool dark room and check on it every once in awhile.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Bedlam
 
Bedlam's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Posts: 1,021
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts


Snotatude is difficult to contain once it gets going, but now is the time for prevention of future ills. Remember that locking device you mentioned? Now's the time.
__________________
-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I just ruin my first batch? mvhsbball22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-05-2009 08:17 AM
Another did I ruin my batch? popscube Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-26-2009 10:48 PM
Did I Ruin My First Batch? hokenfloken Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-24-2009 04:51 PM
Did I just ruin my very first batch of beer? Paper Street Brewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 09-02-2007 11:35 PM
Did I ruin this batch?? kfgolfer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-02-2007 10:54 PM


Forum Jump