ways to cool conical fermenter - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > ways to cool conical fermenter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
monty73741
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Posts: 548
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts



i was thinking of ways to cool my conical fermentor. i thinking after seeing soneone's keggle that had the copper tubing brazed inside the keggle i was going to do the same thing just run cold water thru. I have no room in my house for another freezer. so that would be the best for me...I cant do lagers but i dont like lagers anyhow
__________________
Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Tenchiro
 
Tenchiro's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Providence, RI
Posts: 2,973
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by monty73741 View Post
i was thinking of ways to cool my conical fermentor. i thinking after seeing soneone's keggle that had the copper tubing brazed inside the keggle i was going to do the same thing just run cold water thru. I have no room in my house for another freezer. so that would be the best for me...I cant do lagers but i dont like lagers anyhow
Wet t-shirt or towel and a fan might be the simplest, but you would have to tend it fairly often to make sure it doesn't dry out.
__________________

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
monty73741
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Posts: 548
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts


i want to make something i dont have to tend to. I am a realtor so my schedule is not the same every night, plus i have the need to build something complicated
__________________
Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Posts: 2,589
Liked 33 Times on 14 Posts


Soldering or brazing to the inside will give lots of bacteria forming areas. Do it to the outside then wrap a hot water heater blanket around it to insulate it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
mrbowenz
 
mrbowenz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania
Posts: 521
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Here is a brilliant idea I am going to incorporate shortly, you would still need a cooling source but the build idea is fantastic:

This would work for a conical too:

Picasa Web Albums - Kevin - Carboy Coolin...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Desert_Sky
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,077
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts


heres the way I see it.

I spent an awful alot of money on the conical itself, no way am I going half ass in keeping that thing cool. Keep an eye on craigslist for a used full size freezer that you can turn into an awesome temp controlled fermentation chamber.
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
WBC
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,164
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone View Post
heres the way I see it.

I spent an awful alot of money on the conical itself, no way am I going half ass in keeping that thing cool. Keep an eye on craigslist for a used full size freezer that you can turn into an awesome temp controlled fermentation chamber.
I have a 27 gallon conical (Blichmann) and made an insulated container 4 inches thick from foam board from my building supply and used an air conditioner to keep it cool. A Ranco controller keeps the temperature stable. The AC sits on the insulated base which is on the floor. I just lift off the box to get at the conical. I clean it in place. It works great for Ale or Lagers. It was so big that most refrigerators were just too small.

I know of another guy who has a stainless chiller coil that has bulkhead fittings on the conical lid and quick disconnects. He has a Ranco controlled freezer with a stainless tank with food grade glycol and a submersible pump with another Ranco controller that runs the pump. The sensor is in a thermowell in the conical lid so it senses the beer temperature. The pump only runs to circulate the glycol when the Ranco relay runs the pump. It works very well. He does have a box with insulation over the conical but it sits directly on the cement floor. I think he had to control the freezer temperature so the glycol would not freeze beer on the chiller while the pump ran. Like I said this thing works well but does require 2 Ranco controllers.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Jaybird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Posts: 7,710
Liked 1010 Times on 711 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
I have a 27 gallon conical (Blichmann) and made an insulated container 4 inches thick from foam board from my building supply and used an air conditioner to keep it cool. A Ranco controller keeps the temperature stable. The AC sits on the insulated base which is on the floor. I just lift off the box to get at the conical. I clean it in place. It works great for Ale or Lagers. It was so big that most refrigerators were just too small.

I know of another guy who has a stainless chiller coil that has bulkhead fittings on the conical lid and quick disconnects. He has a Ranco controlled freezer with a stainless tank with food grade glycol and a submersible pump with another Ranco controller that runs the pump. The sensor is in a thermowell in the conical lid so it senses the beer temperature. The pump only runs to circulate the glycol when the Ranco relay runs the pump. It works very well. He does have a box with insulation over the conical but it sits directly on the cement floor. I think he had to control the freezer temperature so the glycol would not freeze beer on the chiller while the pump ran. Like I said this thing works well but does require 2 Ranco controllers.
All that.. Why not just put the fermenter in the fridge??
__________________
Need a False Bottom for your Keg, Kettle or Cooler?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE


Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
WBC
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,164
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


It's too big unless you extend the door.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Desert_Sky
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,077
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
It's too big unless you extend the door.
what a wonderful problem to have
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Conical Fermenter Yuri_Rage Fermenters 207 11-07-2014 02:46 AM
Conical Fermenter BADS197 Equipment/Sanitation 37 01-18-2010 10:22 PM
any good ways to keep fermenter cool? ekjohns General Techniques 7 06-02-2009 04:48 PM
Cool ways for marking the in and out kegs? Kauai_Kahuna Bottling/Kegging 22 06-27-2008 09:27 PM
Conical Fermenter Chris_Dog General Beer Discussion 2 01-20-2008 04:57 PM


Forum Jump