Lets Frankenstein this up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballbuster

Reaction score
Ok the last thread didnt get the point across. Got a can of light malt extract and a can of Muntons IPA bitter, What would you genius' do to Frankenstein this up a little(or alot)?

I am not set up for AG yet so I have the basics. Just dont want another Kan and a kilo tasting beers like my first batch.

If you already have these canned kits - I would grab some aroma hops and substitute the sugar for dried malt extract. Another good easy thing to improve flavor is grab about a pound of Crystal malt and steep those crushed grains in the boil water for about 30 minutes and remove them before it gets up to 170 degrees. Also - get a good specialty yeast. If not liquid, at least a good dried yeast like Nottingham. I just made a canned hefe-wizen beer a few weeks back like this and my keg was gone in one night from my friends and family that came over for a football game. They preferred this over the commercial stuff I had in my beer fridge.

Dan

Both 3# cans of extract correct?
One is hopped and the other is not right?
You can boil 3 gallons right?
You have access to EKG hops right?
You have access to some Vienna Malt or Crystal 20L(grain from the store) right?

Steep a 1/2 pound of grain for 20 min @ 150F in a grain bag then drain.
Bring the whole mess to a boil, then add your extract syrups...BOTH CANS, and return to boil.
boil 1/2 oz of EKG hops for 60 min
boil 1/4 oz for 15
add the last 1/4 oz at 5 min.

Ferment with WINDSOR ale yeast or S-04

I AM doing this, gonna call the LHB as soon as I get this gas rehab bid done (my real job) and see what he has. My kegs should be getting here any day now from pedalbiker, now all I have to do is find out how to tell SWMBO about the purchase and the upcoming purchase of the CO2 gear!

It appears that they do make it easier to beg for forgiveness than to simply ask for permission, It has backfired on me several times tough I might add.

Back