Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > White spots on top of beer in secondary?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
TheBeerLife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default White spots on top of beer in secondary?

I'm a new to forums, as well as, homebrewing which I throughly enjoy!! First batch (American EPA) turned out pretty good, with real hoppy aromatics. I hope it will begin to mellow out as it 'ages'.

My second batch (New Castle clone) has been in the secondary carboy fermenter for about 5 days, I have noticed that there are some small white spots floating atop of the beer, could this be mold?? The batch started out at a pretty high gravity 1.060 with a real vigorous first 3 days of fermentation - airlock popped of twice and I had to resort to a make-shift blow-off tube. Could it have become contaminated and now is molding??

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5793 Times on 4143 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerLife View Post
I'm a new to forums, as well as, homebrewing which I throughly enjoy!! First batch (American EPA) turned out pretty good, with real hoppy aromatics. I hope it will begin to mellow out as it 'ages'.

My second batch (New Castle clone) has been in the secondary carboy fermenter for about 5 days, I have noticed that there are some small white spots floating atop of the beer, could this be mold?? The batch started out at a pretty high gravity 1.060 with a real vigorous first 3 days of fermentation - airlock popped of twice and I had to resort to a make-shift blow-off tube. Could it have become contaminated and now is molding??

Cheers!
It could be, but it might not be. Does it actually look like mold? Or does it look more like white blobs? White blobs are actually flocculated yeast- I call them "yeast clumpies" in my highly technical brewer's language.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2857 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

It is more than likely yeast colonies left over from when the krauzen dropped, or kicked up from the bottom by CO2...

Lot's of people come on here afraid their beer is moldy describing the exact same thing.

I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
Hagen

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote for it just being yeast. I have teh same thing in my wit right now, and I've seen it many times before.

Don't worry unless it grows hair or develops a phonetic language.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2857 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Don't worry unless it .....develops a phonetic language.
Hmmm, then we wouldn't need our hydrometers to listen to it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

post a pic ...thyen we will know for sure. It is probably just yeast
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
adarelme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerLife View Post

Cheers!
I had some white spots on my 1st brew. 90 shilling clone. I wasn't sure what to do, so i talked to my lhbs and he told me to open it up very fast and smell the wort. if it smells skunky it could be mold.

My beer was fine, i bottled it and to be honest it teasted much better then 90 shilling.

hope this helps

Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just brewed my first batch last week and I have the same thing in my primary. After studying the pics of infections on HBT, I'm fairly certain that its just yeast. It seems pretty normal so don't worry too much about it!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarelme View Post
I had some white spots on my 1st brew.... i talked to my lhbs and he told me to open it up very fast and smell the wort. if it smells skunky it could be mold.
That's odd advice....If they are little white/yellowish balls they are hop seeds.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
adarelme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
That's odd advice....If they are little white/yellowish balls they are hop seeds.
the spots were white in color, I took a bunch of pixs, everyone i know who homebrews told me it was yeast. and it sure was.