So whatcha gonna do if we get another Stimulus? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So whatcha gonna do if we get another Stimulus?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
mmb
Jazz Hands!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
WBMI
Liked 4107 Times on 3845 Posts

Today in hearings, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told lawmakers that the time was ripe for another, "significant" stimulus to energize the economy amid the credit crisis.

Obama floated a second round of stimulus a few weeks ago, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketWatch
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={D1A4B0D2-1D6B-4DFD-BC19-CEDD6156CD89}
Democratic leaders in the House and Senate have said they'd like to pass a second major stimulus plan quickly, either in a lame-duck session after the Nov. 4 election, or more likely in early January once the new Congress is sworn in.
Democrats say the bill would likely put about $150 billion into the economy, or about 1% of gross domestic product.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Oh, so this is what a failing, flailing monster looks like as it goes down in flames? Holy crap, are they actually talking about another stimulus check?
I am not sure at this point, but Bush is claiming we need another stimulus. At any rate, yeah the first one was like shooting a water pistol into an inferno. You can't just change the momentum in the market by putting a ridiculously small amount of liquidity back in.

I am beginning to wonder if it won't be a slow, painful economic death after all....I could see people wandering along in denial for several years out until things get really bad. But that's just my paranoid self talking.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Birmingham, Al
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

The stimulus this time around will more than likely look a lot like "The New Deal". Trickle up economics at it's finest. The douche bags on the finance committee that grilled Bernacke today all seemed to be pushing for federal road construction, dams, bridges, etc, etc, etc..... Increase political investment and then raise capital gains taxes to decrease private investment. Fantastic idea! It really worked for Roosevelt following the "Great Depression". It only took Pearl Harbor to bail us out of that one.

Side note. Will you folks from CT please vote this lady out of office: Rosa L. DeLauro. I watched the whole committee meeting today with Bernacke and she is a total %&*$(#.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie Stout View Post
The stimulus this time around will more than likely look a lot like "The New Deal".
I was wondering (hence the "if") if they'll do something on that order. The first package should have gone into infrastructure.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2195 Times on 768 Posts

American Buffalo's or Eagles. Whatever is cheaper at the time.

Register Now!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Nashville, TN
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

pay off more of my (wife's) student loans prolly.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7454 Times on 6109 Posts

Send it to AIG of course. They'll be needing another bailout after they are done with the spa's and hunting trips we (read our gov't), apparently, funded (knowledge taken from second hand information in the smoke room).

Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Send it to AIG of course. They'll be needing another bailout after they are done with the spa's and hunting trips we (read our gov't), apparently, funded (knowledge taken from second hand information in the smoke room).
Aww c'mon 400k aint so bad

Man, tbh I am at a ethical conundrum with them. They have been my insurance carrier for years and I am not sure how I feel giving them my business anymore. I am seriously considering switching and writing them a formal letter as to why.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
mmb
Jazz Hands!

Recipes 

Feb 2008
WBMI
Liked 4107 Times on 3845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
I am not sure at this point, but Bush is claiming we need another stimulus. At any rate, yeah the first one was like shooting a water pistol into an inferno. You can't just change the momentum in the market by putting a ridiculously small amount of liquidity back in.
Well, not quite. White House spokesperson said that they were "keeping an "open mind" " about another stimulus but wanted to get the financial buyout/rescue underway first.

Congressional Dems have been pushing a second stimulus since the end of September.
AFP: White House 'open' to new stimulus package

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
Special Hops
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

pay off Credit cards.