Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peppermint Patty Porter?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Superdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Peppermint Patty Porter?

I love beer, and I love Peppermint!

I want to combine the two.

I think a porter with peppermint and chocloate would be a great possibility and a nice Christmastime beer. I have found one mention of peppermint porter on a beer review site, though the brewery's website doesn't even mention it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts? Especially how much peppermint (and what type, leaves, oil, extract, chewing gum, etc) to use and when?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I applaud your idea.

I seem to be the resident Maestro of Mint Mentoring (unless anyone else wants to step up), so here are a couple links to get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=mint+site%3Ahomebrewtalk.comhttp://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/requ...-hybrid-67041/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/choc...-me-out-83328/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/choc...ritique-81614/

For your use ... I would consider using Bigelow Peppermint Tea ... Should be between $2-$3 per box at your grocery store. Plan for about 1/2 box - 3/4 box for a noticable presence. I was after Spearmint, hence why I used the other one (Plantation Mint) in my pale ale.

I have not used fresh leaves before, so I cannot attest to their affectiveness. I would worry about "green"/"vegetal" off-flavors. However, it'd be easiest done by making a homemade mint extract with fresh mint leaves, vodka (or better, grain alcohol), and a mason jar.

I, too, have been thinking of doing a dark mint beer, after the success I had with my Mint Pale Ale. I'll keep you posted if I manage to get one done sometime this fall. (Stupid brew schedule, always busy!)

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think Chriso nailed it with the tea. Mint oil may ruin your head retention, chewing gum is messy, and extract could be iffy depending on it's ingredients. Fresh leaves might work but you have have to steep them just like the tea. Also, with fresh you would need a very large quantity to get what is in the tea bags.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well if it has that big of a negative effect on head retention then mint may be a doomed ingredient to brew with, since all of the flavor is in an oil. I like Chriso's mint herbal tea suggestion and if I would do it, I would use the whole box. I like the idea of a vodka-made extract on the tea. I would put it in during secondary and then bottle prime with syrup made from candy canes. I know, I know, what kind of sugar is that? Who cares? It is sugar and will prime the beer. You would also have to make a very light porter, as in not too many roast or dark grains in there, and light IBU as usual for the porter style. I think I will make this when the candy canes are flowing a-plenty, like two days after Halloween is over at Wal-Mart:

10 lbs. Marris Otter Malt
2 lbs. Munich Malt
1/2 lb. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 120
1 lb. Flaked Barley
2 oz. East Kent Golding Leaf Hops (60 Min)
Nottingham Dry Yeast

The same day as brewing open up all the tea bags into a mason jar and fill with vodka to cover and let sit until after fermentation. At racking filter the vodka through a coffee filter and put the infused vodka in the carboy and rack onto that. Let go for another two weeks in secondary and then bottle with 1 cup of crushed up peppermint candy canes.

So we have the infused vodka to add flavor and then some right at bottling, should be able to taste that in the end product. Hell, I am excited about trying this now. Please feel free to use this recipe and critique to your heart's content.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

You might look into Pale Chocolate Malt - it's lighter in color, with a very similar taste. Most the HBSes sell it. It would keep it from being overly roasty. But the grain bill looks really good. I like.

+1 to candy canes. I hadn't thought of that - but you can bet if I *do* squeeze in another mint beer this fall, I'll be trying your idea!

I wouldn't use the vodka with the tea though (although that might work! Time to do a small batch with just one teabag!) I would just open up 15-20 teabags from their foil packets, rip off the paper on the end of the string, and throw all the teabags into a steeping bag, like with hops.

For mine, I dunked them as soon as I turned the flame out, and I kept dunking up and down for exactly 5 minutes after boil, then yanked out the bag, and put it into my measuring pitcher to drain, while I turned on the CFC, etc. Then after a couple minutes, I poured the 2-3 oz in the bottom of the pitcher, that had drained out of the bags, back into the kettle while it was still chilling.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I applaud your idea.

I have not used fresh leaves before, so I cannot attest to their affectiveness. I would worry about "green"/"vegetal" off-flavors. However, it'd be easiest done by making a homemade mint extract with fresh mint leaves, vodka (or better, grain alcohol), and a mason jar.
I've used fresh mint in a blonde before. It gives a greenish taste to the beer. Exactly what I was looking for. If you want peppermint flavor, I suggest extract or mint tea.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

As for the chocolate half of your Peppermint Patty, I recommend some dark cocoa of some kind. Most "chocolate" beers call for either baking Cocoa Powder, or else unsweetened bakers' chocolate bars. For this, though... I think of a York with that delicious dark rich chocolate shell.

I'd see if you can find Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder in your area. I've never seen it here, but the website says it exists. Otherwise, I might try to find an organic, fairly dark cocoa powder - perhaps at a local organic food market. Ghirardelli cocoa powder might be a good backup choice, but it's not specifically "dark".

Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Anbrew
Recipes 

I used fresh spearmint leaves in the recipe Chriso linked too. I took a gallon of the wort aside and boiled it for 5 min with 1.75 oz fresh spearmint leaves (picking this much is not fun) and 100% organic cacao powder (from an organic supermarket here), then cooled it and returned to the remaining 4 gallons of cooled wort in the carboy. It smelled wonderful and tasted quite good, but time will tell how well these flavors come out in the final beer, I will keep that thread up to date!
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Has anyone tried using Rumple Minze to get the peppermint flavor (and perhaps a bit of an ABV boost)? That looks the easiest to me.

Not sure if there's residual sugar in there, but you could always do a simple taste test by pouring a beer over a half-shot or so of liquor...

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
BrewFrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is what I have come up with for a final recipe on this Peppermint Porter.

Peppermint Porter Partial Mash Recipe
3 lbs. Marris Otter Malt
2 lbs. Munich Malt
1/2 lb. Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. Crystal 120
lb. Flaked Barley
lb. Toasted Flaked Oats (10 Min @ 300 in oven)
3 lbs. Plain Light DME Flameout addition
15 Packets of Herbal Mint Tea Take out of foil and cut off string, put in muslin bag
2 oz. East Kent Golding Leaf Hops (60 Min)
2-3 boxes of crushed peppermint candy canes
Nottingham Dry Yeast

Use the 15 teabags in the straining bag at flameout, dip up and down in wort for 5 minutes, after adding in the DME. At first racking add in syrup made with one full 6 oz. Box of candy canes and water, try not to boil for long, you will loose mint oil. Let go for another two weeks in secondary and then bottle with 1 cup of crushed up peppermint candy canes.

This stuff should have a great peppermint taste and maltiness to it. I have the grain mashing right now and I will let everyone know how this tastes right around the first part of 09'. I hope I can still get candy canes if it turns out to be great, I might have to stock up on the after Christmas sales.