Digital sight glass - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Digital sight glass

Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

As many of you know, I use an Arduino microcontroller to monitor and automate much of my brew process. I'm planning a major upgrade to my home brewery, including a complete rework of the microcontroller code and functionality. The project is largely on hold right now (mostly due to the crappy housing market), but I've been tinkering with a few bits and pieces lately.

I want a means of electronically measuring the fluid level in my mash tun and boil kettle, but a mechanical float-type level sensor will just get in the way (or get broken). Sure, a float switch would work, but it won't necessarily measure the fluid level without some manual intervention. So, I started looking at other sensor types and brainstorming. Here's the result:

My mash tun and boil kettle are about 20 inches tall, so if I run a thin tube down the side (vertically), and cap it, the pressure inside that tube will be 0 - 20 inches of water (or roughly .75 psi, max). Using a simple calibration scheme and conversion factor, that pressure can be measured and translated to kettle volume. The Freescale MPXV5010DP is a 0 - 10 kPa (0 - 1.45 psi) that operates on 5 VDC and generates a 0.2 - 4.7 VDC output signal that is proportional to pressure at a plastic port - perfect for measuring the pressure on a digital "sight glass."

Bench testing the 5010 sensor results in output that (with 10 bit ADC) is sensitive to within .1", which should be quite sufficient for the application. More to follow as I (very slowly) build the new system.

EDIT:
Turns out that my idea isn't exactly original. A bit of Googling turns up this paper by Freescale, detailing the use of a very similar sensor as a level sensor.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
Jonnio

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I did a similar project back in school using PLC based control. It worked really really well. We had a couple different tanks and flow sensors to control input and output at various stage to keep a set water level (with their flow set by tank level). If I remember correctly it stayed within a few mm on the water level.
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 10-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts

Is heat going to be a problem with boil kettle mount?

Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
jason.mundy
BIAB Purist

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Ellettsville, IN
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

When I started reading, I thought you were going to measure the weight of the boil kettle to determine how much liquid was in the pot. Head pressure would be a good test as well.

Did you use your Arduino to measure pressure of your steam system?

AHA - How to Brew in a Bag (BIAB): https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...w-in-a-Bag.pdf
My BIAB Kettle - Bayou Classic 1140, Fermenter - SS Brewtech Brewbucket
Beersmith Podcast - Brew in a Bag (BIAB) Down Under BeerSmith Podcast 10
Basic Brewing Podcast - BIAB, Proper Terminology
Basic Brewing Podcast - How to BIAB
Online BIAB Calculator - http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

Heat won't be an issue - I'll use a stainless tube inside the kettle with a plastic or hard rubber coupler that runs to the sensor.

I use the Arduino to measure and control the steam rig.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Yuri, you are a fricken gadget stud. I'm druck and not really adding to this thread, but just wanted to let you know how cool you are. And since you are a mod, I'm going to give you some respect. You ROCK, SIR!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Turner, Oregon, Oregon most of the time now
Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts

I was curious as to location of sensor and exposure to combustion, and effects of heat on trapped air in sensing tube as water warmed and air expanded. The fun part comes with trying to work out a scaling factor that works with a rounded bottom tank.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Shockerengr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

another nice aspect is it wouldn't be affected by the volume change of the water as it's heated (though it would be affected by the density)

Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
another nice aspect is it wouldn't be affected by the volume change of the water as it's heated (though it would be affected by the density)
But wouldn't it be affected by the expansion of the air in the chamber? I would assume that it has to be in a closed chamber so as the air heats the pressure will increase.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #10
rlodian
Recipes 

Oct 2008

Have a look at this guy's system Emile's Home-Brewing site: My Brewing Setup In particular the hardware section with a description of his MPX-based volume measurement. He seems to have have a working version of this and a whole lot more.