i get another A in stupidity - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > i get another A in stupidity

Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
beer -just brew it
Dec 2005
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

been homebrewing for about 18 months now and thought i was progressing well.
always had a carbonation/lack of foam issue but didn't worry too much as the beer was ok.
turns out i missed a very basic concept - i never measured my fermenting buckets, just assumed they were 23 litres and when i filled them to the middle ring on the outside i had about 19 litres(5gallons)
turns out my pails are larger and i have been fermenting 23 litres,about 20% more than i thought.
therefore i have been using 20% less ingredients and priming sugar than i should have.
in a way it was good since i also forgot to reduce the bittering hops when i went to full boil for all grain.
i am glad brewing is so forgiving of screw ups.
hopefully my next batches will be better now(end of rant)
simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Will work for beer
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Yeah, review of the process is good every so often, and looking outside the box is good too.

My beers are getting better but sometimes it takes a third party to suggest a change. SwAMi questioned my mash temps one time and I found out my thermometer was reading low. My beers are now better from that one suggestion.
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Gone But Not Forgotten: