i get another A in stupidity - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > i get another A in stupidity
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2005
brantford,ontario
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

been homebrewing for about 18 months now and thought i was progressing well.
always had a carbonation/lack of foam issue but didn't worry too much as the beer was ok.
turns out i missed a very basic concept - i never measured my fermenting buckets, just assumed they were 23 litres and when i filled them to the middle ring on the outside i had about 19 litres(5gallons)
turns out my pails are larger and i have been fermenting 23 litres,about 20% more than i thought.
therefore i have been using 20% less ingredients and priming sugar than i should have.
in a way it was good since i also forgot to reduce the bittering hops when i went to full boil for all grain.
i am glad brewing is so forgiving of screw ups.
hopefully my next batches will be better now(end of rant)

Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 85 Times on 68 Posts

Yeah, review of the process is good every so often, and looking outside the box is good too.

My beers are getting better but sometimes it takes a third party to suggest a change. SwAMi questioned my mash temps one time and I found out my thermometer was reading low. My beers are now better from that one suggestion.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com