Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #51
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My son is going to pick me up a pack or two of 04 on his way home from Clemson on Tuesday. I'm excited about brewing this with my son on Wednesday...

I can always experiment later but I want the first batch to be "per the recipe"...

Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #52
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Per the recipe, it rocks... has to be the best APA I have ever tasted.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #53
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks to Blacklab and The Pol. I can't wait to try this recipe, it just sounds so tasty!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #54
The Pol
Recipes 

You are welcome

Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #55
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed it today! It will be hard to wait 4 weeks...

I had a little problem early in the boil. I had used a muslin bag for the FWH addition. I installed a new hop bag in my hop strainer and once the boil started I felt the need to open the muslin bag and drop the hops in the regular hop strainer. Well apparently the new bag had a courser mesh and most of the the hops made it into the wort. I used a metal strainer and fine mesh bag to get most of the hops off the top. The question is how much of the hops were already absorbed into the wort? I wasn't quite sure what to do so I added .50 oz of hops for the 60 minute boil. So it ended up with the 1 oz FWH but then removed after the 45 minutes or so sparging, .50 for 60 minutes and then the regular 10, 5, 1 minute additions.. Not sure how the IBU's and bittering will change.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #56
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not sure I totally follow you, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glad you guys are liking the beer!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #57
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry I guess I rambled a bit..

I used 1 oz of FWH hops which were there throughout the 45 min fly sparge.

As I heated the wort to a boil, I removed the FWH hops from the small nylon hop bag and placed them in the DIY hop strainer that I made out of PVC and a paint strainer like you've seen here on HBT. The new stainer allowed the hops to leak out into the wort so I managed to scoop up much of them with a strainer bag. End result, Most of the FWH hops were removed before the boil.

I added .50 oz more to replace those strained out.

Maybe the removed hops had already been absorbed into the wort and the .5 oz is additional for a bigger IBU. Or mabye they had done little without boiling water and the .5 oz falls short of the recommended IBU's.

Not sure how this will effect the IBU's since I removed most of the FWH before the boil and replaced them .5 oz unused cascades.

Not really a big deal and I'm not worried.. I'm really just curious if the bitterness will be higher or lower than the original recipe.

Thanks for listening.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #58
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have this beer in the secondary with some cascades. I am worried though because I was using a brew belt to warm it up a bit and forgot about it and it was on for like a day with a sweatshirt over it too.

The bucket was pretty warm and even some condensation you can see through the lid.

I know the fermentation was pretty much over, but do you think I will be alright if the temp got up there really high? It could have been in the 80s or who knows, maybe 90s. I don't have a thermometer on this bucket.

This happened after 11 days of fermenting, the gravity was as low as it would have gone I think.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #59
The Pol
Recipes 

The yeast should have been pretty much done at that point... I am sure you are fine

Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #60
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Due to a variety of reasons I'm strictly an extract brewer. Is there something that can be substituted for the vienna malt if just doing an extract brew? Or can vienna malt just be steeped like crystal?