My Recession Meal - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > My Recession Meal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts



I had a can of Steak and Shake Chili and can of Vegetarian Madras Lentils.

Mixed 'em up and nuked for 3 minutes.




That is all.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,971
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts


SWMBO's not home?
The real question...what did you drink with it?
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
phissionkorps
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 397
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Too rich for my blood. The ultimate recession meal = wodzionka. Boil some water, add a bit of fat like bacon grease or so, add cubed stale bread. Spices are for pansies. It tastes like what it is, but surprisingly it's not bad.
__________________
Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
Bongofury
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
Too rich for my blood. The ultimate recession meal = wodzionka. Boil some water, add a bit of fat like bacon grease or so, add cubed stale bread. Spices are for pansies. It tastes like what it is, but surprisingly it's not bad.
Wait why don't you just put the fat on the bread and eat it like ... bread? I guess because its stale?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
Arneba28
 
Arneba28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Posts: 2,193
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts


Had my recesion meal the last 5 meals. Less then $6 for the whole deal, just about 1.10$ per meal. 1# ground beef with minced onions and allspice. 2 eggplants halved and pealed. Layer alternately beef and eggplant and bake for 1.5hours. So good.!!! That or rice. When I was really really poor I once only ate rice and peas for 2 weeks straight, then I got smart and started stealing lamb shanks from the greek restaurant I was working at. This was a matter of feeding myself, and I absolutely hate stealing and people that steal. Now I am in better times. I eat ramen noodle with chunks of really bad cuts of chicken on top. lo
__________________
My Kegerator Project

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Dr Vorlauf
 
Dr Vorlauf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Lehigh Valley,PA
Posts: 534
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Had my recesion meal the last 5 meals. Less then $6 for the whole deal, just about 1.10$ per meal. 1# ground beef with minced onions and allspice. 2 eggplants halved and pealed. Layer alternately beef and eggplant and bake for 1.5hours. So good.!!! That or rice. When I was really really poor I once only ate rice and peas for 2 weeks straight, then I got smart and started stealing lamb shanks from the greek restaurant I was working at. This was a matter of feeding myself, and I absolutely hate stealing and people that steal. Now I am in better times. I eat ramen noodle with chunks of really bad cuts of chicken on top. lo
I went to UB and that was my diet... minus the lamb shanks..
__________________
Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
SWMBO's not home?
The real question...what did you drink with it?
She reheated some pizza.

Homebrew of course.
10 day mild.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Arneba28
 
Arneba28's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Posts: 2,193
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf View Post
I went to UB and that was my diet... minus the lamb shanks..
I was in the grocery store thats right next to UB South and there were 2 asian kids and all they had in there cart were 5 12packs of Ramen and 2 5#bags of white rice.
__________________
My Kegerator Project

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


I used to eat alot of tuna and rice in college.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
phissionkorps
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 397
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Wait why don't you just put the fat on the bread and eat it like ... bread? I guess because its stale?
Yeah, it's "supposed" to be made out of stale rye or other hard bread. I make it with stale hotdog buns or whatever is around really.
__________________
Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recession Brewing joejaz General Techniques 17 06-03-2009 06:19 AM
10 Reasons for the recession... aekdbbop General Chit Chat 0 10-15-2008 05:53 PM
Recession not affecting beer & tobacco Big10Seaner General Chit Chat 2 08-13-2008 04:35 PM


Forum Jump