Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY2450PC
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21@65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21@65F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Floral and citrus hop flavors play well with the spicy rye and malt body.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073
Estimated FG: 1.013
Estimated Color: 12.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.69 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 18.46 %
1.25 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.08 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.08 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 39.3 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (FWH) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (Flameout) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Recommended Yeast Selection In Order Of Preference:
----------------------------
1 Pkgs Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast WY2450PC)/Brewtek CL-50 Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs SafAle US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Single infusion mash 60mins@153F.

Denny, in eddie's post above, it states SG as 1.085. Isn't 1.071 to 1.073 the correct figure?

I've read the lower figures in other places on the Internet and I got 1.071 when I brewed 10 gallons of this on
Saturday.

Thanks,
Dan

This is a pretty famous recipe. I'm brewing it up for my first time soon, already have the ingredients. I had been looking at a few rye IPA recipes, but was persuaded to do this one when I found a 52 (yes, 52) page thread devoted to this beer that started in 2005 and is still active.

if you could do 9.25lb partial mash, this might not be the same but this should be close i would guess

4lbs 2row
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 18.46 %
1.25 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Wheat Malt

enough light dme to reach correct gravity(probably 4lbs or so but use brewbuilder to find out exact amount)

I am brewing this tomorrow and I can't decide whather to use WLP051 or US-05. So I am using both!!! I'll picth a 1 liter starter of the WLP051 at the same time as hydrated US-05. I'll post back in 7-8 weeks.

I made my first batch of this recipe and split WY1450 and WLP051 between 2 carboys. We'll see what happens.

Starting in Feb., WY1450 Denny's Favorite will be available as a full time Wyeast strain.

Great news! I brewed it as my first AG this year and had to use American II. I'll try it again with 1450. Thanks for the recipe.

Starting in Feb., WY1450 Denny's Favorite will be available as a full time Wyeast strain.

Hell yeah! I emailed them a while back expressing my love for this strain, and I know I'm not the only one. Really glad to hear.

Just brewed a batch of this beer on Sunday. After reading all the reviews and posts on Northern Brewer I am totally jacked up on it!:ban:
Its bubbling away nicely and I can't wait. I'm anticipating a great brew. I hit all the numbers, OG came in at 1.074. I could only get my hands on Safale 05 though... Depending on how much I like it, I may have to brew it again with Denny's yeast for comparison's sake.

Assist me with my schedule/timing:

21 days in the "primary" carboy then, being very mindful of sanitation (and needing the carboy) I racked to a secondary. Been in the secondary carboy 7 days. Haven't added the final hops per the instructions.

What would be a good time in the secondary and then ultimately to the corny?

no reason to age this one...

i've made it a few times and i like it best fresh - mine is usually on tap about a month after brew day. get it on the dry hops now and toss some in the serving keg when you rack too. i've done 1 oz per 5 gal dry-hop in secondary for 2 weeks and 1 oz in the serving keg with great results...

Wondering about the units in this recipe. When I enter it in Beersmith (assuming 5 US gallons) I get about 1.085 OG, as the original poster did. When I convert it to 5 UK gallons, e.g., 6 US gallons, I get about 1.073, as Denny states. Most of the iterations I have seen, including those posted by Denny, call for 5 gallons. I want to get this right. Am I right in assuming that the recipe is constructed using UK gallons? Or am I missing something?

Cheers!

Jason

Well, unless I am seriously screwing up the math somewhere, the recipe *needs* to be 6 gallons to come in at 1.073 with 16.25 pounds of grain and a ~73% efficiency. But, I can't find any discussion anywhere online where someone notes that the recipe is calibrated to UK gallons, i.e., that it should be 6 US gallons, which seems odd (if I am correct) given how often it is brewed. I am perplexed. What volume do people here normally aim for?

The 1.073/73% I got straight from Denny here: http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/76127 (see below)

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.25
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 12.2
Anticipated IBU: 75.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

67.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 3.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

When I run those numbers it just doesn't work out.

Correction: You can 1.073 with 5 US gallons, if you assume 65% efficiency, but elsewhere online Denny notes that he "typically get 75-80% efficiency" from his batch sparge set up.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! (Sorry to be spamming on this one, but it is driving me crazy.) Denny corrects himself in that post and notes that 65% was wrong, he really gets 75%, which brings back the 1.085 OG on US gallons. Here's a version that uses 6 gallons and the same grain bill: http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_rye_ipa.php

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! (Sorry to be spamming on this one, but it is driving me crazy.) Denny corrects himself in that post and notes that 65% was wrong, he really gets 75%, which brings back the 1.085 OG on US gallons. Here's a version that uses 6 gallons and the same grain bill: http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_rye_ipa.php

Yeah, I get 1.080 or higher with this quite regularly but I think it may be a fluke with my system as most people are getting in the mid 70's.:confused:

*edit*

I just edited the original post to reflect Denny's gravity numbers.

I'm still a bit confused by this recipe and I'm not sure we ever got down to the bottom of it... I have the same concerns as jloxton.

Here is the tread where I'm getting the initial recipe straight from Denny:
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/76127

Denny mentions the grain bill below to have an OG of 1.073 at 73% efficiency for 5 gallons post boil, however like others I calculate 1.083. I'm pretty confident I'll hit 73% efficiency - so what should I do? Should I go with an OG of 1.083 or scale sown the grain bill to try and hit 1.073? That's quite a large difference, and for my first time brewing this recipe I want to make it exactly as intended (right down to the WY1450)...

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.25
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 12.2
Anticipated IBU: 75.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-------------------
67.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 3.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

To make things even more confusing the recipe at the beginning of this thread mentions 75% efficiency with an OG of 1.073 which is what Denny mentions as the OG for 73% (the HBT recipe also mentions 1.085 which is what I would calculate at 75%). In this thread Denny also mentions 1.073 as being "spot on".

Should I go with an OG of 1.083 @ 73% or scale sown the grain bill to try and hit 1.073?

i make it at 1073 and would recommend that

Cool. I wish Beer Smith had the capability to enter in grain bills as percentages and enter in a desired OG then spit out the weights needed - which is effectively what I think I'll do by hand. Wouldn't be a tough feature to add....

Wondering if anybody has had both and can compare this Rye IPA to Terrapins Rye Pale Ale?

I've never had the terrapin but I know it's available here so I'll grab one next time i'm out. You really should make this beer either way. I kicked my keg last night and shed a tear. Plans are already in the works to make this again. Great beer!

Hey guys, I'm getting a pound of German Hallertau and was thinking of subbing the Mt Hood for them. Anyone see any reason this would alter the final result?

Hey guys, I'm getting a pound of German Hallertau and was thinking of subbing the Mt Hood for them. Anyone see any reason this would alter the final result?

I really don't. I've only made this recipe with Mt. Hood, but I've been using Mt. Hood in other things lately. Pretty much Hallertau to me. I'm sure Denny would say otherwise but at least don't let the hop sub stop you. This beer is quite amazing. It's not like you're subbing for the Columbus!:drunk:

Back