Agh! Wasps! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Agh! Wasps!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts



I just found out there's a freaking yellow jacket nest in my chimney! There were 4 inside my living room and I found them because one stung me! I'm smoking them out right now, which also sucks because it's like 80F and I'm the only loony on the block with a fire on!
__________________
--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston
Posts: 1,567
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


smoking them out won't necessarily kill them or get rid of them. Bee keepers use smoke to pacify bees and keep them from leaving the hive. You need to really get the temperature up and cook those mothers... some of them might still be hiding out in the hives waiting for the smoke to clear out. Get a real raging fire going and melt the wax holding the hive together.
__________________
No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Brew-boy
 
Brew-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Lapeer, Michigan
Posts: 2,280
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


I hate those bastards Kill em Kill em
__________________
Next:Smoked Pilsner.
Primary:Belgian Red, American Stout w/Roeselare
On Tap:Pale Ale, English Bitter
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Dadrick
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Stewartstown, PA
Posts: 140

What you need is a good old chimney fire. Load the stove up with green wood and burn it real slow so the creasote lines the flue real good. Then start a real good hot fire and ignite that creasote and torch the beasties.

JK. Please don't intentionally set a chimney fire. I've been through two they can be real scarey.
__________________
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world” - Kaiser Wilhelm

"Wasser ist für waschen, nicht trinkens. Bier ist für trinkens"
translation: Water is for washing not drinking, beer is for drinking. Poppa Boxhiemer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Next time, look in the Yellow Pages. There are guys who come collect wasps/hornets that live inside homes for no fee. They sell them to make anti-venom.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Brew-Happy
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,329
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Better redneck idea:

1. Light a really hot fire
2. Throw a can of wasp spray in the fire
3. RUN!
4. Repeat until wasps are gone or cops show up




Disclaimer: This is only a joke, I repeat this is only a joke
__________________
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Better redneck idea:

1. Light a really hot fire
2. Throw a can of wasp spray in the fire
3. RUN!
4. Repeat until wasps are gone or cops show up




Disclaimer: This is only a joke, I repeat this is only a joke
Actually there was a You-Tube clip where the guy did this with like gasoline or something on the nest in his kids swing set. I think it like flamed out all over.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Zymurgrafi
 
Zymurgrafi's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
NEK, VT
Posts: 2,427
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I had a wasp nest in between the two windows in the basement where my brew stuff is this summer. They were building the nest amid the insulation stiffed between the windows. I tried to encourage them to leave by using a heat gun on the inside pane of glass. Did not work. Then I smashed the outside pane and ran like hell. They still stuck around. Then mysteriously I went away for a week and they were gone. Something/someone had smashed the window more and pulled out the insulation??? Gone now still don't know how but glad.

Here is a tip if they are coming in your house. My parents had a HUGE infestation in their walls. They mistakenly plugged the hole they were getting in through outside the house thus driving the wasps into the living room as the only escape!! Anyway, hundreds of them were swarming inside. They had to call an exterminator. Here comes the tip... To pacify the wasps so he could kill them without spraying nasty stuff all over their living room he sprayed them with WINDEX. It works really well. Does not kill them per se but knocks them out.

Good luck and don't get stung!
__________________
sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Well, so far so good. It looks like the nest was near the top of the chimney, under the rain guard. I lit a fire so hot, my living room was, well, unlivable. Anyway, the smoke and heat drove a ton of wasps out from the top and none dared come through the fireplace. Since then I've not seen a single one inside the house. When day breaks I'll check the chimney and see if they try to comeback.
__________________
--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Donasay
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Boston
Posts: 1,567
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
I had a wasp nest in between the two windows in the basement where my brew stuff is this summer. They were building the nest amid the insulation stiffed between the windows. I tried to encourage them to leave by using a heat gun on the inside pane of glass. Did not work. Then I smashed the outside pane and ran like hell. They still stuck around. Then mysteriously I went away for a week and they were gone. Something/someone had smashed the window more and pulled out the insulation??? Gone now still don't know how but glad.

Here is a tip if they are coming in your house. My parents had a HUGE infestation in their walls. They mistakenly plugged the hole they were getting in through outside the house thus driving the wasps into the living room as the only escape!! Anyway, hundreds of them were swarming inside. They had to call an exterminator. Here comes the tip... To pacify the wasps so he could kill them without spraying nasty stuff all over their living room he sprayed them with WINDEX. It works really well. Does not kill them per se but knocks them out.

Good luck and don't get stung!
I used to use this trick to make guard wasps and guard bees as a child. If you spray them with an alcohol based window washer fluid, like car windshield washer fluid you can knock them out of the air and knock them out. Then you then scoop them up quickly in a tupperware container and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. While they are freezing you need to get your supplies ready, you will need some tweezers and some thread, if you have the gear to tie flys for fly fishing all the better.

You will need to be very quick for the next part, the spray has stunned him and the time in the freezer has frozen his extremeties so he is essentially paralized. Before he thaws and comes out of it you need to very quickly tie a string around him between his thorax and abdomen and then tie that string to whatever needs guarding. Essentially you now have a bee or wasp on a leash, he will still be able to take off and fly, but won't be able to get anywhere because he is tied down. Oh and tying him down will make him very very pissed off, excellent for guarding whatever it is that you need guarded.
__________________
No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh how I loathe thee, creeping juniper wasps GilaMinumBeer Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 11 09-08-2008 04:13 PM


Forum Jump