Gearhead Brewery Logo - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Gearhead Brewery Logo

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here is the first iteration of my brewery logo. It's a little rough and some of the letters don't line up, but it reflects my idea pretty well.

It's much cleaner when shrunk to avatar size.

Thoughts:
  • I'm not a fan of the font. I just used the PowerPoint default. I'd like to hear some suggestions for a good alternative. It needs to be simple, but something more angular would be better IMO.
  • Should I go smaller on the font?
  • What does everyone think of the hole in the gear?
  • Should I axe the shoulders to focus on the head?
  • Any suggestions/critiques?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I like having the full profile of the guy, but I would have the brewery name inside the gear, and not on the teeth. Its a little hard to read as is

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

I like it with the lettering in the teeth, but I think it definitely needs more tweaking.

Different font - something blocky and quasi-industrial, fixed-width. Kind of like the old label makers. The ratio of font-size-to-tooth-size needs tweaking too. More negative space in the teeth, less in the main gear body. A background or heavy multilayered border or some combination thereof might help too.

Also, I don't really like the "gearhead guy". But that's just one man's opinion.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

There is Possibility here like no other logo I've seen.

What about a color scheme more like Yuri has?
All...Steel Looking!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Iowa

Powerpoint? PLEASE tell me you didn't design this in powerpoint!

Good concept, like the idea. However I would go without the big black gear and focus on the head. The bigger gear just seems to serve as a vehicle for the text, and it way overshadows the coolest and most original part of the design (the head).

Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Ego Archive

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Minnesota

I would reduce the gear body by a little bit, and increase the size of the teeth. It may be an optical illusion but it looks like the gaps are larger then the actual teeth, which makes it look off to me.

As for the font, "Rockwell Bold" may work, as it has pretty uniform lines, I think.

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll try the text on the inside. I'd originally envisioned the teeth as purposefully holding the letters (yes, Kilgore has me dead-on with that one) but maybe that's just too busy. I'll see about turning out a couple different versions, but my graphics skills are pretty weak.

Thanks BigK! I was planning on keeping it simple with the black and white, but a metallic finish wouldn't be bad at all! I'm not sure how I'd apply one; I'd have to move to a different program (Paint ).

I didn't "design" this in PowerPoint but I "assembled" it in PowerPoint and saved it as a jpg.

I think you're right Ego, the gaps do appear to be larger. The gear is just a stock photo, I'll see if I can manage to modify it.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

I like the gear theme, but you are right about needing a different font...

I use this site to improve my font library. dafont.com

They're free.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, rapidfire text modification. I think I'll have to work something out using my home computer to get the text to wrap inside the gear. There doesn't appear to be an application capable of doing that on this one.

Rockwell (no Rockwell Bold on my work computer)

Arial Black

I'm thinking about perhaps running a wrench behind the image to help delineate where "GEARHEAD" and "BREWERY" are separated.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My coworker (also a brewer) was playing around with Says-It.com and we turned this out. It's much simpler and it really doesn't match my desire, but it's pretty cool in its own right.