RIMS vs. HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas heat is also easy to wire for control via PID. In fact I would argue it is just as easy aselectric, now that I've figured it out. For $190 you can wire up a PID controlled automatic firing control system for your existing burner.

Standing Pilot light burner with control $192.74
HONEYWELL VR8200A2124 24 Vac Dual Standing Pilot Gas Valve $61.99
1/4" OD Aluminum Pilot Tubing $10.00 Local Hardware 5'
Pilot bracket assembly - Honeywell Q314A6094 B Bracket $16.16
Liquid tight RTD sensor, 2” probe, M16 Thread $29.95
M16 flanged nut $3.69 McMaster-Carr 91005A039
Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller $41.95
3-way red LED Selector switch (burner ON/OFF/AUTO) $29.00

Boerderij_Kabouter,

Is this specification for LP propane like you get from Lowes/Home Depot or for natural gas?

This is for low pressure propane (<11 inWC) or natural gas. This assembly will not work with high pressure propane. I will be using it on the hurricane burners with low pressure propane.

More attention for obvious reasons.

#1 typically you are using propane, with no temp controller
#2 typically you are monitoring the MASH temp and you are not really aware of what the temp is in te bottom of the MLT

RIMS and HERMS many times use electric, whicih is easy to wire to a temp controller, so they are hands off.

Go get a $70 furnace valve and control your gas...

I got the idea from a mash-tun design, where the whole mash (grains and liquid) are constantly pumped through a heated tube in order to raise and keep the mash temp.

When designing a heated mash system I'm also interested in being able to heat up the mash evenly. With the constant recirculating I'm afraid that, through channeling and the increased flow rate necessary, it will not be possible to heat the mash evenly.

But than again, I haven't build or used one and I'm just throwing my thoughts out here for discussion.

Kai
The main thing with herms/rims is clairifying worth, and that is by compacting the grainbed. Pumping the other way is totally waste of everything...
Herms/rims has one thing better than the rest... You get a better efficency, bacause of stable temperature and the sirculation, but loose some vital mash ingreedence like yeast nutrient. Stabillity is like the rest.....
The one thing is time savings... Nothing else :)
Happy brewday!

Im going to agree that I for myself have been doing single fusion mash and the beer that come out of it, many times over again are fabulous, and regarded better than most out there. Just do the yeast pitch properly and fermentation temperature and keep trucking. Why stop, change just to find out that it will not improve to the advantage of wow this was totally that much better than my single mash. It may never really happen. But good luck

Latest posts

Back