Tell Me, How My A.S.S. Taste? (American Smoked Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
not measured
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 68°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
cold-conditioned in the keg for ~1 month
Tasting Notes
Very smooth; well-balanced between roast and smoke characteristics.
GRAIN:
8.00# Marris Otter
5.00# Rauchmalt
0.75# Crystal 60L
0.75# Crystal 40L
0.75# Chocolate malt
0.50# Roasted barley

HOPS:
2.50 ounces Northern Brewer (8.0% AA), 60 minutes

MASH:
Single infusion; 60 minutes @ 154°

Recipe is based on 71% efficiency.

Recipe took a few weeks to mellow out in the keg post-fermentation. A little harsh/aggressive at first (hops and roast). 6-8 weeks in, developed a smooth, chewy, smokey, roasty, balanced character that was very well received even by several who are *not* necessarily fans of smoked beers.

EDIT: I should say, this is definately a *smoked* beer. I find it quite balanced for my tastes (and it was well-received), but someone seeking a beer that's more stout-first, smoked-second could easily sub out a pound, pound and a half of the rauchmalt for more base malt.

I though your ASS tasted pretty good Bird.

oh, wait, I was not supposed to share that was I?

;)

I so want some of bird's A.S.S. I want it real bad.

I heard it was great A.S.S.

Thanks for sharing the recipe- I am putting this on my list to brew.

Would adding 5-6 jalapenos to the primary ruin this beer or would the spice, in your opinion, liven it upa bit?

Would adding 5-6 jalapenos to the primary ruin this beer or would the spice, in your opinion, liven it upa bit?
I wouldn't do primary. Roast, skin and dice some jalapenos would be much nicer. Roast em over charcoal and it'll be ever better. Hell, dry-hop that thing with dried chipotle!

Mmmmmmm smoke..:mug:

This sounds incredible - big rauschbeer fan. I'm only starting a couple of brews right now (newbie) but I think this might be number 3 on my list after some help from my LHBS.

Very interesting. I've got something similar on the cards, but more of an ESS than an ASS if you know what I mean.

Oats in place of some of the maris otter; S-04 instead of US-05; EKG instead of northern brewer. The rest of the recipe is pretty similar.

I haven't brewed a rauchbier before. A little concerned that it might not be smoky enough for my taste (most commercial example don't do it for me. Aecht Schlenkerla is one exception), but will adjust the recipe for next time if need be.

I'll post the exact recipe in this thread if it turns out good.

:)

Try the Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter. It's very well-balanced and a pleasing drink. I tried one called Whole Hog Smoked Porter and didn't like it too much - it was all smoke, no beer. Tasted like someone dry-hopped a porter with burnt popcorn.

lol I have to say this is my favorite beer name ever! Made me laugh out loud at work.
"I'm a horse. Kobe ratted me out, that's why I'm getting divorced.
He said Shaq don't give a ***** a mil? I don't do that cuz my name Shaquille
I love em, I don't leave em. I got a vasectomy, now I can't breed em."

Real talk.

Latest posts

Back