Alexander Keith's IPA (Canada)? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Alexander Keith's IPA (Canada)?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
Mikey
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
I'm gone!
Posts: 666
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew

Would a kolsch or steam beer be close?
No, both of those can be good, tasty beers that I would drink any time.

Keiths I Pee, Eh has no taste above and beyond what any other megaswill does. Find a Budmillercoors clone and make that.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,736
Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts


flavor/finishing Hops in a Kieth's are what? Cascade? And while I agree Kieth's is pretty much mega swill it does taste better than most and I think it's the diff hops which makes it seem diff that LMBMC beers. Even though they use corn I beleive they must mash at 153 or so since their does seem to be slighty more body than a Canadian, etc.


__________________
I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #13
Axegod
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Ajax, Upper Canada (Toronto)
Posts: 470
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


A few months ago, the Alexanders Keith's commercial spokesman ( an irate Scotsman character type guy) was arrested for posession of child pornography. Not sure of what is going on with the court case right now....
Its a decent beer, but not better than the average Canadian type beer...not really an IPA..but its ok. Now, when I see it on the shelf, I pass it for something else. Its not like it was the CEO that was charged...but can't bring myself to buy it.

Try Moosehead beer...from Nova Scotia as well....and better too !
__________________
Primary :
Secondary:
Bottled:
On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
Axegod
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Ajax, Upper Canada (Toronto)
Posts: 470
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew
flavor/finishing Hops in a Kieth's are what? Cascade? And while I agree Kieth's is pretty much mega swill it does taste better than most and I think it's the diff hops which makes it seem diff that LMBMC beers. Even though they use corn I beleive they must mash at 153 or so since their does seem to be slighty more body than a Canadian, etc.
Hey..ever had Kokanee?
Its made from water from some glacier type lake...where Trudeau's son was tragically killed.
They never found the body...maybe they should rename it "Trudeau".
I am not sure of the hops to use for that type of flavour though....
__________________
Primary :
Secondary:
Bottled:
On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #15
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,736
Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegod
Hey..ever had Kokanee?
Its made from water from some glacier type lake...where Trudeau's son was tragically killed.
They never found the body...maybe they should rename it "Trudeau".
I am not sure of the hops to use for that type of flavour though....

Hops? Beer? I thought kokanee was just carbonated glacier water. Brewed right...in the kootneys!
__________________
I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
plinytheporter
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Chico, CA
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Alexander Keith's is an absolutely awful IPA. Let me restate the it is NOT an IPA. I just returned from Vancouver where I tried this swine piss, horrible. It is a lager or a pilsner, and not a good version of those styles.
__________________
If you don't start drinkin' I'm gonna leave

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,515
Liked 7369 Times on 5209 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by plinytheporter View Post
Alexander Keith's is an absolutely awful IPA. Let me restate the it is NOT an IPA. I just returned from Vancouver where I tried this swine piss, horrible. It is a lager or a pilsner, and not a good version of those styles.
You resurrected a nearly 4 year old thread to tell us that?

It's not good. We agree!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
dcolumbus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinytheporter View Post
Alexander Keith's is an absolutely awful IPA. Let me restate the it is NOT an IPA. I just returned from Vancouver where I tried this swine piss, horrible. It is a lager or a pilsner, and not a good version of those styles.
Well, compared to what Stone or Dogfish think is an IPA, Keith's isn't even remotely the same.

However, Keith's isn't anything like Bud or Coors either.

Keith's is very smooth, no bitterness and an incredible nutty aftertaste.

I'd LOVE to get a recipe for Keith's IPA.

Anyone?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #19
brrman
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Indianapolis, IN, Indiana
Posts: 1,639
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts


Yeah Keith's is not a good representation of an IPA, yet I do like the beer. I grew up on the east coast of Canada and used to drink Keith's all the time (before I brewed and broadened my beer horizons). I still like a nice cold Keith's when go home to visit.

If I were to try to make a clone I would start with 2 row, some crystal 10 and maybe add some biscuit, keep it around 15-20 IBUs. Use a very clean yeast (like Kolsch Ale) on the low end of the fermentation temp range.
__________________
8-Paws Brewing Co.
Tap 1:.
Tap 2:.
Primary:.DFH Indian Brown Clone (10g)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
Mooseknuckle
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Halifax
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegod View Post
A few months ago, the Alexanders Keith's commercial spokesman ( an irate Scotsman character type guy) was arrested for posession of child pornography. Not sure of what is going on with the court case right now....
Its a decent beer, but not better than the average Canadian type beer...not really an IPA..but its ok. Now, when I see it on the shelf, I pass it for something else. Its not like it was the CEO that was charged...but can't bring myself to buy it.

Try Moosehead beer...from Nova Scotia as well....and better too !
Actually Moosehead is from Saint John, New Brunswick. Keith's is crap, but the original recipe looks like it would be good, it's housed at a local University in their special collections.

Next time I go to school I will try and find it.

Sorry for the bump but this thread showed up in a search



Reason: Sorry for the bump but this thread showed up in a search

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alexander Keith's IPA Clone jettaman Recipes/Ingredients 9 07-15-2012 10:04 PM
Alexander Keith's White Ale Jilaman Commercial Brew Discussion 2 06-24-2009 10:27 AM
Northwestern? Alexander’s? Coopers??? Grinder12000 Extract Brewing 1 08-08-2008 05:55 PM
Alexander Keith's Amber - Yuck Bobby_M Commercial Brew Discussion 12 07-18-2008 07:25 PM
Alexander Keith's Red Amber Ale homebrewer_99 Recipes/Ingredients 2 09-04-2007 07:18 PM


Forum Jump