Is there a career path you regret abandoning? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Is there a career path you regret abandoning?

Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
May 2008
Southern, NJ
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

I always think about how if I had taken the job I would have most likely worked on Columbia, eerie.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #32
Dec 2006
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently graduated and got my A.R.R.T. Rad Tech license for x-ray. (not the limited license) I cannot find a job in Houston, my home where I have a kid. I had no idea that the market was so flooded here. All i see in my future is a ****ty shift that no one wants.

It sad, because you think job security with the med field, but there are too many schools cranking out licensed techs here.

I partially regret what i have done, and would have gone with computer science if I would have known the outcome.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #33
Jan 2008
Liked 7535 Times on 6168 Posts

My only regret is in not finishing college and having a degree. Now I am in my mid 30's, married to a 30 year mortgage, have a two year old an another in the oven due January, and the desire to achieve a degree in Physics (acoustic and noise control discipline).

Fat chance i'll see that before I am 92.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
Sep 2008

I have followed some dreams and some died on their own. With this economy I may be closing my company and I am finding it really hard to know what to do next. I was lucky in that I was able to do what I wanted to and now I feel the need to move on but I have no idea what to move onto. I gave up on more "artistic" pursuits when I was younger, and I am having a hard time reinventing myself.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
Jul 2007
Bryan, Texas
Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

I love my field (veterinary medicine), but while I am still working on my DVM, (18 months left! Whoop!) my friends with BS's in engineering are now earning 6 figures and living it up. It does kind of suck that they are earning after 4 years of school what I only hope to be making after a decade...

I had seriously considered chemical engineering for my BS, but decided not to sell my soul after all…
"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I don't have any specific regret, but had I known what I know now at age 18 I would have went the Federal civil service route. Same benefits as the military but without the whole deployment thing.
I'm a Civil Servent and have deployed several times...
HB Bill

Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #37
Nov 2007
Wilmington, DE

Cleaning out boilers.... no wait I don't miss that. Probably being a professional bicycle mechanic. Mechanical engineering pays better tho...
Primary: 2x Hard Blueberry Honey Apple Cider
Secondary: Blueberry Wheat Lite Beer
Kegged: Bavarian heavy-veisse

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 AM   #38
Dec 2005
Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

I wish I would have followed through with the Navy.

Or.... being a teacher for the Developmentally Disabled.

Or Being a Chef.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #39
Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1369 Times on 1337 Posts

Originally Posted by talleymonster View Post
I wish I would have followed through with the Navy.

Or.... being a teacher for the Developmentally Disabled.

Or Being a Chef.
you could have combined them all and became a Marine Corps Cooking Trainer.

I keed, I keed.
Subtle is too confusing. Subtle only has it's place for aroma, flavor, and insult. Anyplace else, you lose. -GilaMinumBeer

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #40
Jim Karr
Dec 2005
SW Michigan..Bangor/Covert area
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Chicken, having been in Radio for nine years, I think the Cumulus's and the CheapChannel's of the world would have booted you out whether or not you still had the fire. Lowry Mays and his ilk have homogenized radio to a very vanilla product, one that sounds the same whether you're in Benton Harbor or Seattle.

And what is it with programming consultants? They all have such PERFECT hair!
As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist