Is there a career path you regret abandoning? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Is there a career path you regret abandoning?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1369 Times on 1337 Posts

I ask because tonight, for the first time in years... I miss radio.
Spent many years in AOR/Metal radio then in AAA. I said goodbye to that world after multiple ownership changes and the changes in the industry. The final straw was installing and programming the automation systems that replaced my friends and I.

Today, I listened to a guy on the local college station that had been a volunteer there for 28 years. He still had the fire. He still had the love for the medium.

I wonder what would have happened if I had accepted that killer job in Detroit. Where would I be today? Syndicated? Out of work?

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts

I miss being a professional musician. While I didn't have health insurance for about half a decade I miss the late nights and fun times. However, it turns out that job security is not overrated and health insurance really isn't that bad!!!!

What's tappening? :D

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

From what I know about radio, chicken, you'd most likely be unemployed. I always regret not being an astronaut. I couldn't stomach the military service needed to become one though.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I regret not staying in a job that was a dead certainty to lead to a higher management position in my mid twenties. I was continually being told I would be a company director in 10 years at that place.........I left, and within two years I was living in my car.

Hold on.....Nah!! I don't regret that!!! I've always been curious though how that path would have panned out.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Surprise, AZ.
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What I wanted to be when I grew up was retired. But due to money and family issues, I skipped school and went to work. It's not that I hate to work but I would've liked to know what it would be like to be retired.
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
jpsloan

Recipes 

Nov 2006
New Market, MD
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Dept. of the Interior. That was a sweet gig!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

Rock Star!!!

But then again, I can retire next year without regrets...

If I were a rock star I'd probably be dead...

Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
menschmaschine

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Delaware
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I sometimes reminisce about working in government... working 6.75 hours per day, having like 15 paid holidays a year. Then I remember the salary and realize I could never afford the home I got if I was still there. I guess the grass is always greener...

Old 10-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2006
DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I have the exact opposite thought.

What career do I regret NOT abandoning earlier to go try something else? I've been in IT for about 10 years now, I'm still a lowly support bitch, and can't get ahead because I lack a degree.

I wish I could have gotten out while I was still low paid. Now I cant go back to a starting salary of any other occupation.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
mmb
"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
WBMI
Liked 4235 Times on 3938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
I have the exact opposite thought.

What career do I regret NOT abandoning earlier to go try something else? I've been in IT for about 10 years now, I'm still a lowly support bitch, and can't get ahead because I lack a degree.

I wish I could have gotten out while I was still low paid. Now I cant go back to a starting salary of any other occupation.
+1

Fall into a "good" job and grow moss. Would-a, should-a, could-a.

Now advancement in my area is few and far between. Who really wants to hire a *nix/OS400/IOS guy with no windows experience to speak of?