Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help me toss something on my WL029
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
kennedyma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default Help me toss something on my WL029

Hey all I'm moving on to my 4th batch and would like to rack on top of my current yeast cake. I just brewed cheesefoods VCCA using WL029 yeast.

I'm an extract brewer who is looking for a light crisp beer I can bring to the family for Christmas. I'm thinking a Kolsh(sp) of some kind but can't find a good extract version.

Thanks for the help this board has opened my eyes.


kennedyma is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Spitzbube
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 17
Likes Given: 2

Default on a Kolsch yeast cake

I just pitched an altbier wort on a Kolsch yeast cake-- the wl029 you're using. It literally took off, and seems to have completely stopped 24 hours later. I am not sure how it will turn out, as these forums seems to say it's really hard to overpitch. the temp was about 70.

However, if I had the chance to do it over, I would have taken a little of that yeast cake out because now I am wondering if i overpitched. With the first batch I used a rather large starter (more than a liter) and it took a while to get moving. If this overpitch means I will should wait longer then the three weeks I am planning before bottling, I'd like to hear it. Good to hear your question.

I will watch this thread to see who else posts. Maybe a more experienced member will chime in. I have gotten some good advice before and think this forum has some really great members who help out us beginners.


Spitzbube is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

A Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. It is dead simple if you can get the Pilsner extract.

8 lbs Pilsner LME
.25 lbs. Munich LME

Hallertau Hops 1.5 oz. at 4% alpha - 60 minute addition. About 24 IBU's

What may be the hardest part is fermenting and lagering. Not everyone is set up to do it properly.

Ferment @60 and then lager the beer for 4 weeks.

Jamil Zainasheff who made the recipe has also stated that using a Kolsch yeast for an American wheat is a great yeast for the style. It would probably be much easier to make as well.

Good Luck
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzbube View Post
I just pitched an altbier wort on a Kolsch yeast cake-- the wl029 you're using. It literally took off, and seems to have completely stopped 24 hours later. I am not sure how it will turn out, as these forums seems to say it's really hard to overpitch. the temp was about 70.

However, if I had the chance to do it over, I would have taken a little of that yeast cake out because now I am wondering if i overpitched. With the first batch I used a rather large starter (more than a liter) and it took a while to get moving. If this overpitch means I will should wait longer then the three weeks I am planning before bottling, I'd like to hear it. Good to hear your question.

I will watch this thread to see who else posts. Maybe a more experienced member will chime in. I have gotten some good advice before and think this forum has some really great members who help out us beginners.
I don't think you overpitched but with the amount of fresh yeast that you used it may have fermented out super fast. The brew should still be left in the primary for at least a week and then you could move it to a secondary if you wish. Your beer will be fine.
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
kennedyma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Yea I'm kind of scared of the. Lagering. Off to look for an American wheat as it's one of my favroite beers.

Sorry for the so problems my iPhone is acting up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
A Kolsch recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. It is edead simple if you can get the Pilsner extract.

8 lbs Pilsner LME
.25 lbs. Munich LME

Hallertau Hops 1.5 oz. at 4% alpha - 60 minute addition. About 24 IBU's

What may be the hardest part is fermenting and lagering. Not everyone is set up to do it properly.

Ferment @60 and then lager the beer for 4 weeks.

Jamil Zainasheff who made the recipe has also stated that using a Kolsch yeast for an American wheat is a great yeast for the style. It would probably be much easier to make as well.

Good Luck
kennedyma is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Kungpaodog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 494
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've got the exact same question. My yeast is Safale 05 and the beer in my primary is a red pumkin ale, and I want to do a dark, high-ish ABV stout next. Would it be bad to pitch on this yeast cake?
__________________
Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat
Kungpaodog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyma View Post
Yea I'm kind of scared of the. Lagering. Off to look for an American wheat as it's one of my favroite beers.

Sorry for the so problems my iPhone is acting up.
From the same source.

8.9 lbs. of Wheat LME

1 oz. of Willamette 5.0% for 60 minutes
.3 oz. Willamette 5.0% at flameout
.3 oz. Centennial 9.0% at flameout

OG = 1.052
IBU = 20

Ferment it nice and cool and it should work out fine.
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpaodog View Post
I'm not trying to threadjack, but I've got the exact same question. My yeast is Safale 05 and the beer in my primary is a red pumkin ale, and I want to do a dark, high-ish ABV stout next. Would it be bad to pitch on this yeast cake?
Safale 05 dry yeast is so inexpensive that I would just use a new package or 2. I guess though that if you don't mind the possibility of some of the pumpkin taste in the stout you could reuse it.
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
kennedyma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Blender I like what I see. Here is what I've come up with.

Steep:
2lb of Munich Grain

5-6Lbs of Wheat DME

I'm not sure on the hops. I have .5oz of Saaz and .5oz Tettnang left over from my last batch that I would like to use. I was thinking of just tossing the Tettnang for 60 min and the Saaz at flame out. Is this a bad idea?

I'm just trying to keep it simple but I can sure pickup some other hops at the LHBS when I pick up the DME.

kennedyma is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Wheat beers are about as simple as you can get. Tettnang sounds fine but I don't make a lot of wheats. I would probably go for a flovor addition rather than an aroma addition at 0 minutes. I think the key here is to ferment in the suggested range for the yeast.


__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I brew with it or Toss it? eager_brewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-27-2009 12:12 AM
Do i toss this batch? HillbillyDeluxe General Beer Discussion 20 04-09-2009 02:54 AM
Should I toss this? Darwin18 General Beer Discussion 8 02-22-2009 03:07 AM
My first toss out jacksonbrown General Beer Discussion 2 08-01-2008 11:03 PM
To Toss or not to Toss... holjim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 04-02-2008 09:11 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS