Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > 1/4 keg use

Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
nyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default 1/4 keg use

My uncle just gave me all of his kegging equipment. One of the things he had was a 1/4 keg (I think it's a 1/4) thats kind of egg shaped. It doesn't look anything like the 2 - 1/2 kegs I have. What would you do with it? It does have a big wooden looking "cork" in the side of it for filling I guess.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Any chance of a picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
SHvanBommel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Chances are if you look in the BBQ isle you'll find something similar, I have one, really the only thing to do is clean it (sanitize) disassemble all the valves, put them back in and use it as a fermenter, I think a size 14 with an airlock will work, put it on its side, use it as a secondary, or primary.. or a BBQ... serious...

After I read about Yuri's steam system I wanted to convert my 1/4 barrel to a S/G but... i had to move, really you can use it as a regular fermenter or if you can fina sanitary (READ: non-wood) plug you could use it as another keg but i wouldn't... never know what kind of pressure a plug like that will hold...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
hefeweizendan
Recipes 

Sounds like you've got a Hoff-Stevens keg. I remember Ithaca Beer using them solely for their root beer, sealing each one with a new plastic/wood bung each time they're refurbed/refilled.

This guy even went as far to use one for his brew kettle:
Hoff Stevens Keg Brew Kettle

The two-prong tap for the H/S is a fragile pain in the ass, and since it's such a dinosaur, using the keg as a fermentation tank would be my first inclination. Still a sea worthy piece of stainless, old boy!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefeweizendan View Post
Sounds like you've got a Hoff-Stevens keg. I remember Ithaca Beer using them solely for their root beer, sealing each one with a new plastic/wood bung each time they're refurbed/refilled.

This guy even went as far to use one for his brew kettle:
Hoff Stevens Keg Brew Kettle

The two-prong tap for the H/S is a fragile pain in the ass, and since it's such a dinosaur, using the keg as a fermentation tank would be my first inclination. Still a sea worthy piece of stainless, old boy!
Thats the keg, but I was wrong on the size it's a 1/2. It says Jos Shlitz on the top and it looks really old. My uncle has had it in his basement at least 20 years.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
kirscp
Recipes 

Is it SS or Aluminum? If Hoff is would be SS, I assume. But some of those styles did come in Aluminum.