Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperatures

Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
cafeviking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperatures

What is the approximate temperature of 5 gals of fluid vs ambient temperature? Fluids tend to stay slightly cooler, don't they? I'm in the northwest and it's been 40-50 outside which might translate a little through the floorboards(?), but on the other hand the fermentation process generates heat, right?

I need to learn a good method for regulation in a home setting because I think my first brew (albeit a mediocre can kit) might have cooked a little for the first few days and I don't want to be digging into my fermenter with a thermometer too much. I initially kept a pint glass of water containing a thermometer on top of the fermenter but found the readings to be vastly different [from the wort] by 5 to 8 degrees.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The fermentation process does indeed generate heat.

To regulate the fermentation temp, you can either use the wet t-shirt swampcooler trick or use an icewater bath. I personally use the latter process and swap out frozen water bottles twice a day. I'm able to maintain 66-68deg temps.

You can't see the frozen water bottles in this pic, but you get the idea.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
cafeviking
Recipes 

Looks like a good system. Are you actively monitoring your temperatures? Was there a point where you did? I would hate to risk infection from measuring and messing around too much.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
mttewes
Recipes 

To keep an eye on temps during fermentation just use an adhesive thermometer. Then there is no need to invade the beer to check temps.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yeah, I use a stick-on thermometer, but in a pinch, I've used a probe thermometer taped to the side of the carboy/better bottle/bucket.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.