Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Metallic Taste?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
dsmithpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Metallic Taste?

I brewed a batch of IPA two weeks ago (extract plus grains). I drew a sample on Saturday, and it has a distinct metallic aftertaste. I did use a new stainless steel brewpot and false bottom purchased from my LHBS, but my understanding is that stainless steel should not impart any metallic tastes.

Yesterday I took the lid off the brewpot with the false bottom in it, and smelled it. Smelled like metal to me! I took out the false bottom, and rinsed/scrubbed it, as well as the brewpot. Now the brewpot doesn't smell metallic at all, but the false bottom does have a bit of a metal smell (especially on the welds).

Has anyone had this happen to them? Was there a specific type of prep I should have done to the false bottom before using it? Is there any chance that the metallic flavor will fade with time?

Thanks!
Doug

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Metal smelling like metal is not something to freak out about. I vote your beer is green, 2 weeks is not long enough to judge the final taste. Wait and see what the master jedi's have to say...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've had it a couple of times.
Once when brewing with an enameled steel pot with a chip in it. I noticed the chip after the brew, and immediately retired the pot.
The other time was when using Wyeast 1028. After about 3 weeks in the keg, it tasted very metallic. I put the keg to one side for 4 - 6 weeks, and then tried it again. It was fine.

-a.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm convinced that my 'no rinse' iodophor was doing the same thing to my beers. Of course it could have been that I was not diluting enough.