Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Modding a whiseky barrel into a fridge using a thermoelectric cooler

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Swab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Modding a whiseky barrel into a fridge using a thermoelectric cooler

I'm getting my hands on an old whiskey barrel and hoping to modify it into a fridge. My plan is to build a square box inside the barrel, and insulate between the box and the sides of the barrel.

I've been lurking around the forums and noticed that a few people have tried using pelteir thermoelectric coolers for various applications.

So I am thinking getting a few pelteir thermoelectric coolerss - getting a large heatsincs from ebay. putting some fans on the heatsinc to get rid of the hot and using this to cool the fridge down.

I have two things that I am not sure about.

1. Am I going to be generating enough heat that the barrel will, say, light on fire.

2. How many/How big a peltier cooler would I need?

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiller View Post
I'm getting my hands on an old whiskey barrel and hoping to modify it into a fridge. My plan is to build a square box inside the barrel, and insulate between the box and the sides of the barrel.
Right up to that point you are good. Peltiers are shockingly inefficient - you'll have a huge power bill and/or a warm "fridge" if you go that route. Just rip a mini-fridge (or find one to start with that fits in a whiskey barrel) and use a normal compressor/coil refrigeration unit - far more effective and efficient.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Swab
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The other thing I cam accross was this

Tropicool - XC3000 Thermoelectric Refrigeration Unit

Not sure that I want to ship it from New Zealand to Canada though. You are probably right that ripping a part an old fridge would be best.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I noticed that there are some 0.5 and 1.0 cu. ft. minifridges that now use peltier coolers. I was tempted to buy two of these and tear them appart to use on my fermentation chiller. The problem with the current affordable peltiers is they are great at keeping things cold, but not so good at the initial cooling. I ended up buying a 3 cu. ft minifridge which I totally disassembled and installed into my chiller. It is just about finished. I'll post pics when it is up and running.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Swab
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Pics would be great - I do have an old fridge (well, my current keg fridge) that I can rip apart, so I'll probably do that... just hope i don't bust a line in the process!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
tpwalsh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiller View Post
The other thing I cam accross was this

Tropicool - XC3000 Thermoelectric Refrigeration Unit

Not sure that I want to ship it from New Zealand to Canada though. You are probably right that ripping a part an old fridge would be best.
Looks like a peltier device to me, I'd avoid it. YMMV, no personal experience, etc.