Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > adding oatmeal flavor to oatmeal stout

Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
eddie884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding oatmeal flavor to oatmeal stout

I made an oatmeal stout, and I knew going in that the oats in the mash would add more to the mouth feel more than the flavor. I took a sample from the fermenter and I feel that it needs the oatmeal flavor to balance out the roast and molasses flavors in it.

Can I make up an "oatmeal potion" similar to the spice potions mentioned in Mosher's "Radical Brewing?" Are there any other ideas to add the oatmeal flavor at bottling or at the end of fermentation?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

You won't ever get oatmeal flavor from adding it to the mash. If you want it to taste like spiced oatmeal, you could "dry spice".

Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

roasting the oatmeal seemed to give a good taste!

Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a beer podcast out there that I listened to a long time ago where they interview a guy about his 1st place oatmeal stout recipe and he didn't even use oats. I can't remember any more details than that, anyone else know what I'm talking about?

He might say what he did to get the flavor of oats. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
mmb
FFS, really?
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3384 Times on 3265 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Do oats really have any flavor? Isn't that why we add brown sugar to oatmeal?

I use the oats for mouthfeel and some biscuit or toast the oats for some toasty/bready flavor. Oats really only provide that silky, almost oily mouthfeel imo.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Jamil addresses exactly this issue in "brewing classic styles", here's an excerpt:
Quote:
Toasting the oats in the oven at around 300F until they begin to slightly color up and give off a nutty oatmeal cookie character tends to help them stand out a bit more.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to revive this thread to continue this conversation. Is Jamil talking about toasting these oats before they're mashed? I'm trying to make an oatmeal stout soon and I definitely want that oatmeal cookie character.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6047 Times on 4309 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlbrew View Post
I'd like to revive this thread to continue this conversation. Is Jamil talking about toasting these oats before they're mashed? I'm trying to make an oatmeal stout soon and I definitely want that oatmeal cookie character.
Yes! You want to toast them at 300F until they are lightly browned and giving off "oatmeal cookie" aroma. Then, you can add some victory malt or biscuit malt to the mash, along with the oats, to give you that "oatmeal" taste.

You want to use quick oats or flaked oats, so that you don't have to cook them first. Quakers quick oats are fine. Then just toast them on a dry cookie sheet in the oven.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Yooper, you're the best. I'm well on my way to having a fantastic Oatmeal Cookie Stout!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I realize this is a VERY old thread.. but, roasting oatmeal is a trial by fire. Even at a light roast, to me, I get that burnt acrid taste. I've never been able to control that. Some say to do the roast and put into a paper bag for a week or more and that acrid taste disappears. I recently spoke to the head brewer of a well known brewery. They name, in my estimation, one of the best OS's I've tasted. He said to forget roasting the OM.. Get the roast from the roasted barley and the texture/mouthfeel from the oats. Works for me.