Strong Bitter Common Room ESB - Page 60 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #591
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NWMushroom's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Northern Coast, Oregon
Posts: 322
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Just checked this after a week in the fermenter. My OG was 1.052. It's currently sitting at 1.016 - happy with that. Will probably keep it in the fermenter for at least another week, testing taste and gravity as I go.

I followed the recipe as per the OP, only adjusted for my efficiency. I BIAB.

As an expat Brit let me say I've tried a few times to come up with a British style beer and have always come up short. This one is tasting very promising so far.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #592
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 108 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMushroom View Post
Just checked this after a week in the fermenter. My OG was 1.052. It's currently sitting at 1.016 - happy with that. Will probably keep it in the fermenter for at least another week, testing taste and gravity as I go.

I followed the recipe as per the OP, only adjusted for my efficiency. I BIAB.

As an expat Brit let me say I've tried a few times to come up with a British style beer and have always come up short. This one is tasting very promising so far.
If you would like it to drop a few more points and you still have it sitting at 63 degrees you could let it warm up to around 68.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #593
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
NWMushroom's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Northern Coast, Oregon
Posts: 322
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Yes, I've been slowly raising the temperature from around day 3. It's currently at 67, plan on upping it to 68 late tonight and holding it there for a week or so. Does that sound like a good plan? I know I've read on some of your other posts that you like to raise the temperature and then slowly bring it back down - is that worthwhile with s-04?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #594
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 108 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMushroom View Post
Yes, I've been slowly raising the temperature from around day 3. It's currently at 67, plan on upping it to 68 late tonight and holding it there for a week or so. Does that sound like a good plan? I know I've read on some of your other posts that you like to raise the temperature and then slowly bring it back down - is that worthwhile with s-04?
That sounds like a great plan. With S-04, I don't think there is much need to drop the temp to retain malt flavors and esters like I would with Fuller's yeast. After it's completely done fermenting and tasting nice though, it wouldn't hurt to cold crash it if you are so inclined. Sounds like it's coming along nicely.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #595
meshbackhats
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
akron, ohio
Posts: 42


Brewed this today- Drank quite a few ESB's on Nitro yesterday and really got me wanting to brew one.

3rd brew on my new rig- first session on the new rig without any issues. Hit my boil off and all my numbers.

OG is 1.056

looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the recipe

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #596
singybrue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
singybrue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 436
Liked 132 Times on 86 Posts


I brewed this 11/25. I had problems with high mash temps-was trying for 154/155 and was getting 157 regularly. My OG was 1.060
I checked it today 12/5, and my SG is 1.036?
Shouldn't it be lower by now?
I'm going to give rousing the yeast a try.

Below are more details from my log:
Wyeast 1469 1000 ml starter on a stirplate for 36 hours, than 1 day in fridge to settle
Slightly more than 5 gallons into the fermenter -OG 15 brix or 1.060
Pitched 300ml 1469 slurry at 67 degrees 8:30 pm
Slightly less than 5 gal in the fermenter including trub
Set temp at 16.8 (about 64)
Kreusen the next morning 11/26 at 8:30 am
11/27 1:45 am Carboy temp 64 nice kreusen but not huge/excessive.
11/27 7:30 pm-Kreusen gone, raised ferm temp to 18.5C
12/5 1.036???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #597
rico567
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts


My first batch of this was a great beer, and very drinkable- but a bit too much hop-forward. I know I followed the directions exactly, so my guess is that the AA of the hops I used might have been higher than those used in the recipe.
__________________
“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #598
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 
 
May 2013
New Westminster, British Columbia
Posts: 394
Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by singybrue View Post
I brewed this 11/25. I had problems with high mash temps-was trying for 154/155 and was getting 157 regularly. My OG was 1.060
I checked it today 12/5, and my SG is 1.036?
Shouldn't it be lower by now?
I'm going to give rousing the yeast a try.

Below are more details from my log:
Wyeast 1469 1000 ml starter on a stirplate for 36 hours, than 1 day in fridge to settle
Slightly more than 5 gallons into the fermenter -OG 15 brix or 1.060
Pitched 300ml 1469 slurry at 67 degrees 8:30 pm
Slightly less than 5 gal in the fermenter including trub
Set temp at 16.8 (about 64)
Kreusen the next morning 11/26 at 8:30 am
11/27 1:45 am Carboy temp 64 nice kreusen but not huge/excessive.
11/27 7:30 pm-Kreusen gone, raised ferm temp to 18.5C
12/5 1.036???
Chances are your higher mash temp led to a less fermentable wort. Try rousing the yeast.
__________________
Fermenter #1: Kona Pale Ale
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #599
bguzz
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 123
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I'm going to brew this per the original recipe, but I only have S-04 and some harvested Conan Yeast (ECY 29). How do you think this beer would be with Conan? its supposed to be an English strain that accentuates the malt and hops?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #600
marinosr
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Durham, NC
Posts: 58
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


I'm brewing this up today! Thanks for the great-looking recipe, and from a fellow Durmite. KingBrianI, do you go to TRUB meetings? I was thinking of checking one out.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common cause of low SG? Edbert Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 02-14-2014 09:25 PM
ca common help shawnstr71 General Beer Discussion 10 11-22-2013 03:12 PM
my interpertation of the common room ESB. dkm11b All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 12-04-2012 03:35 AM
Brewery Setup - Poll on preferences - Tasting Room or No Tasting Room? jdlev General Beer Discussion 21 06-16-2011 01:33 AM
two room cold room plan Brewpastor Fermenters 23 08-03-2010 05:08 PM


Forum Jump