Strong Bitter Common Room ESB - Page 41 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #401
SookeBrewing
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Sooke, British Columbia
Posts: 69
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
How long did you leave your 1969 for a D-Rest, and did you create a starter? Just curious as I was not able to draw a sample of my 1969 batch yet and didn't have the chance to make a starter before pitching.
Sorry for the late reply - been a busy summer!

I basically rested it for 3 days, I guess. Detected the diacetyl on day 3 and by day 6 it was gone. I never do a starter for smack-packs.

Overall, I found that that the 1968 did not attenuate enough and the beer, while tasty, is too sweet for my dry palate. I will still drink it, but this isn't the common-room quaffer I was expecting. It also bears noting that I was super-efficient in my mash and ended up with an OG of 1.059 and an FG of 1.016, for about 5.7% ABV.

Any suggestions for a different yeast to use next time? S-04 is not available in my local area as far as I know. Common dry yeasts around town are Nottingham and Windsor, and I can get any Wyeast strain also.
__________________
SookeBrewing
On Tap: SunRype Cider, Belma Bitter
Kegged: Some kinda pale ale, Belgian Blonde
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #402
DMartin
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Hagerstown, Maryland
Posts: 262
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


S-04 is available at most online HBSs. I imagine the shipping for a few packets of dry yeast is pretty inexpensive, even crossing the border.

SookeBrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #403
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
S-04 is available at most online HBSs. I imagine the shipping for a few packets of dry yeast is pretty inexpensive, even crossing the border.
Very true. Still, if Windsor is readily available, would it be that different? I've never used it but my impression was that it wasn't too far off from S-04. Please do correct if wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #404
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,327
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SookeBrewing View Post
Sorry for the late reply - been a busy summer!

I basically rested it for 3 days, I guess. Detected the diacetyl on day 3 and by day 6 it was gone. I never do a starter for smack-packs.

Overall, I found that that the 1968 did not attenuate enough and the beer, while tasty, is too sweet for my dry palate. I will still drink it, but this isn't the common-room quaffer I was expecting. It also bears noting that I was super-efficient in my mash and ended up with an OG of 1.059 and an FG of 1.016, for about 5.7% ABV.

Any suggestions for a different yeast to use next time? S-04 is not available in my local area as far as I know. Common dry yeasts around town are Nottingham and Windsor, and I can get any Wyeast strain also.
Thanks for the information. Actually, the 1968 made an outstanding Common Room. I'm at work at the moment and don't have my notes, but it fermented down to the 1.014 range with close to 5% ABV (it's a very sessionable beer) and a very good balance of malt flavor with a hop finish. Out of the three batches of Common room made thus far, it is by far the best.

The other batch made with S-04, which was pitched with 2 packets, came out with too much diacetyl and an over the top buttery flavor. It's been resting in the keg at room temp for a few days in an attempt to let the residual yeast try and do something, but I'm not certain it will.

As far as other yeast options, I've had great success with 1318, although with your statement about a dry palate, it wouldn't be the best choice for you. I haven't used it on the Common Room, but used with my brown ale and a pale ale, it left a residual sweetness with slight fruity esters, but it seems to mute the hop aromas a bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #405
jtmwhyte
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I brewed this one a couple of weeks back, and S-04 is a BEAST. It ripped through in 2 days. I went to keg after 16 days (poor planning) and when I opened the fermenter I could see nearly all the way through to 3 gallon mark on the bucket. Went to keg over the weekend at 30PSI (24 hours) and am letting it chill at 12PSI for a bit before pulling a pint.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #406
barhoc11
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 416
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmwhyte View Post
I brewed this one a couple of weeks back, and S-04 is a BEAST. It ripped through in 2 days. I went to keg after 16 days (poor planning) and when I opened the fermenter I could see nearly all the way through to 3 gallon mark on the bucket. Went to keg over the weekend at 30PSI (24 hours) and am letting it chill at 12PSI for a bit before pulling a pint.
I had the same experience, S-04 ferments really fast and clean but its taken a while to start tasting good after I kegged it.

I kegged after three weeks then let it carb up for almost a week and it was not good when sampled. Now it has been almost 6 weeks since brewing this up and its starting to get good. I was told S-04 takes longer to condition compared to liquid yeasts and that seems to be the case.

Let me know how yours tastes at first

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #407
jtmwhyte
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11

I had the same experience, S-04 ferments really fast and clean but its taken a while to start tasting good after I kegged it.

I kegged after three weeks then let it carb up for almost a week and it was not good when sampled. Now it has been almost 6 weeks since brewing this up and its starting to get good. I was told S-04 takes longer to condition compared to liquid yeasts and that seems to be the case.

Let me know how yours tastes at first
I just pulled a pint on day 20 since brew day and it tastes great. It is lacking a bit of that malty esb character, but its tasty.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #408
barhoc11
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 416
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Alright, I think the beer has progressed very well and is only getting better. The sourness I had at first has given way to all of the characteristics that are supposed to be present in this ESB. If it keeps getting better, this will be a staple on tap at my house. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #409
sethcros
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Dallas, TX
Posts: 100
Liked 26 Times on 9 Posts


I got my first batch of this fermenting away right now. I am so excited for it. It was mt first all grain attempt and it was rough...I think the beer will turn out though! I'm going to give it a go again sometime now that I have my mash tun situation worked out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #410
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,327
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sethcros View Post
I got my first batch of this fermenting away right now. I am so excited for it. It was mt first all grain attempt and it was rough...I think the beer will turn out though! I'm going to give it a go again sometime now that I have my mash tun situation worked out.
Don't worry, the ones you screw up usually turn out the best!

My first try with this recipe resulted in 3 stuck sparges (2nd all grain attempt) and turned out to be fantastic. Good luck, AG is very rewarding when you figure your system out.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common cause of low SG? Edbert Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 02-14-2014 09:25 PM
ca common help shawnstr71 General Beer Discussion 10 11-22-2013 03:12 PM
my interpertation of the common room ESB. dkm11b All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 12-04-2012 03:35 AM
Brewery Setup - Poll on preferences - Tasting Room or No Tasting Room? jdlev General Beer Discussion 21 06-16-2011 01:33 AM
two room cold room plan Brewpastor Fermenters 23 08-03-2010 05:08 PM


Forum Jump