Strong Bitter Common Room ESB - Page 33 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #321
aidan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 402
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
aidin, I think your recipe and the process you describe for FWH are good. Toss the hops in when you take the steeped grains out and it should be very close to the same results. Cheers!
Thanks. I've order my grains and hops so will brew it this weekend if they arrive on time.

One more question: As there is no dry hops in this recipe, is dry hopping generally not done with a traditional English bitter?


__________________
Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #322
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
Thanks. I've order my grains and hops so will brew it this weekend if they arrive on time.

One more question: As there is no dry hops in this recipe, is dry hopping generally not done with a traditional English bitter?
Dry hopping is fairly common in bitters, though not nearly to the level of most american IPAs. It definitely wouldn't hurt to dry hop this beer, if that's the direction you want to go. But probably keep it to 0.5 oz or less.


__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #323
borden
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Posts: 317
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


This beer gets better and better. I've been drinking these for a few weeks, or maybe a month now, and I'm down to six or seven left -- tonight I had the best yet! Aesthetically stunning, too. Going to rebrew this soon. Thanks again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #324
LarsonLE
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Posts: 177
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


So the highest caramel malt my LHBS had was Caramel 120. I grabbed 0.25 lb of that. Do you think this will work? Should I grab something else to compensate for the lack of color that the higher caramel would have given the beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #325
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
So the highest caramel malt my LHBS had was Caramel 120. I grabbed 0.25 lb of that. Do you think this will work? Should I grab something else to compensate for the lack of color that the higher caramel would have given the beer?
C120 will be fine. The beer will be slightly lighter in color but it will still taste great. If you want to get the color back, you can add an ounce or so of a dark grain like chocolate malt, black patent or roasted barley. At that small an amount, you won't taste it.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #326
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,326
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts


After all of the rave reviews, I'm going to try this on Sunday. Hopefully the LHBS will have all of the neccessary ingredients for this baby.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #327
fenners
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 144
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Keen to try this out as I've got some Kent Golding hops sitting in the freezer & I love ESBs.... Anyone got a good partial mash version of it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #328
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fenners View Post
Keen to try this out as I've got some Kent Golding hops sitting in the freezer & I love ESBs.... Anyone got a good partial mash version of it?
What's your mash capacity? Just mash as much maris otter you can fit with the crystal malts. Then use 0.6 lb of light DME for each pound of maris otter you couldn't fit.

You may want to adjust the FWH addition amount based on your process:

Add more FWHs if doing a partial boil.
Add less FWHs if doing a late extract addition.
etc.

Good luck!
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #329
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,326
Liked 124 Times on 123 Posts


Hey king, are you using Crystal 40L and 120L American, or are you able to find UK style grains for the Crystal?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #330
fenners
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 144
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
What's your mash capacity? Just mash as much maris otter you can fit with the crystal malts. Then use 0.6 lb of light DME for each pound of maris otter you couldn't fit.
I'm using a 5gallon pot, usually mashing about 2 1/2 pounds of grain. So far, it's all been kits from AHS (my local store) so this is breaking new ground for
me

Crisp Maris Otter 10 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 60L 0 lbs, 12 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 120L 0 lbs, 4 oz

So, 1lb for the malt, maybe 2 pounds of Maris Otter, leaving 7lb of LME? I'll be using LME as I can get it nice & fresh from AHS in-store. "Extra Pale" work?

Quote:
You may want to adjust the FWH addition amount based on your process:

Add more FWHs if doing a partial boil.
Add less FWHs if doing a late extract addition.
etc.
Good luck!
I haven't done First Wort Hops... Another new step



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common cause of low SG? Edbert Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 02-14-2014 09:25 PM
ca common help shawnstr71 General Beer Discussion 10 11-22-2013 03:12 PM
my interpertation of the common room ESB. dkm11b All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 12-04-2012 03:35 AM
Brewery Setup - Poll on preferences - Tasting Room or No Tasting Room? jdlev General Beer Discussion 21 06-16-2011 01:33 AM
two room cold room plan Brewpastor Fermenters 23 08-03-2010 05:08 PM


Forum Jump