Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a small/table-beer extract recipes

Old 10-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Tarka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking for a small/table-beer extract recipes

Hi,

Does anyone have any extract recipes for a low-alcohol beer (AKA small-beer, table-beer in Belgium)? I figure if I'm going to drink the amount I did last night on a regular basis I should try making something with less of a kick to it. Besides I quite like the idea of enjoying beer all through the week guilt-free.

I'm also going to have a go at milds; I'm planning an Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale but pointers to other good ones would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
I'm also going to have a go at milds; I'm planning an Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale but pointers to other good ones would be appreciated.
That was my first thought.

My second thought is the Brewer's Best red ale kit. Maybe don't buy the kit, but the recipe of
3.3lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME

Steep: 12oz Crystal 60, 1oz Black Patent

1oz Willamette 60min
1oz willamette 5 min

S-04

It was my very first brew, and one of my best for sure. OG of about 1.042, ABV just barely north of 4%. Actually, I just inspired myself to brew this one again, AG style. Added to on-deck.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You should be able to design your own recipe without too much trouble. Just keep the OG below 1040 - probably closer to 1030.

I make a farmhouse-style table beer a couple of times per year with extract. One 3.3-lb can of wheat LME, one pound of wheat DME, one ounce of low-alpha hops boiled for 30 minutes, a handful of cracked coriander, a handful of dried bitter orange peel at flameout. Ferment with S-33 (next time, I'm gonna try T-58). I actually carbonate this by kegging it before fermentation is really complete. But while that's historically accurate - I take this beer to Wars of the Roses reenactments - it's pretty freaking complicated to explain.

If you brew Orfy's Mild, you won't be displeased; it's excellent! The recipe in my drop-down is (I flatter myself) pretty darn good, too!

Bob

Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

I just opened a 60/- last night I brewed 3 weeks ago, really really good. the recipe is here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/scottish-60-a-72051/ the only thing I did different was I used Marris Otter instead of normal UK pale 2-row, dark munich instead of light, and pitched Nottingham instead of the California ale yeast. The result was dark, malty and oh so tasty.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn