Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Meads with very high initial gravity - a question

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1305 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 3684

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
a word of caution: DO NOT substitute any commercial nutrient (or DAP) for Go-Ferm...
hightest: I'm curious as to just why you recommend Go-Ferm & nothing else, I know it's a fine product, never had a problem with it, but I haven't had any problems with the semi-generic yeast nutrient/energizers either. I've never tried the Servomyces capsules, so I don't know how they compare to anything, but I might try them once, just to see if they're worth the $9.95 per 6 caps pricetag, but was also curious as to your opinion(s) on them. Regards, GF.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
This idea sounds like a Polish mead. I have had Apis Kurpiowski and Jadwiga. Both were excellant. I believe they are about five years old when they are bottled. We checked the gravity of the Jadwiga before we drank it. I don't remember exactly, but it was around 1.120! That's not a typo. The FINAL gravity was around 1.120!
THIS has PEAKED my interest!

You guys sure do a good job of keeping me from falling into a rut.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
.... I've never tried the Servomyces capsules, so I don't know how they compare to anything, but I might try them once, just to see if they're worth the $9.95 per 6 caps pricetag, but was also curious as to your opinion(s) on them. Regards, GF.
Ok, I'll answer your questions in separate posts, starting with the use of "servo".

In short, I do not recommend the use of Servo for mead. The why is based on a January 2005 chat with Dr. Tobias Fischborn (Lallemand scientist) where he answered various questions about Servo. Essentially, I think there is insufficient evidence to assert it is a proven winner in making mead. For the details behind this assertion, please read my FAQ on this subject.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #24
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
hightest: I'm curious as to just why you recommend Go-Ferm & nothing else, I know it's a fine product, never had a problem with it, but I haven't had any problems with the semi-generic yeast nutrient/energizers either.
Hopefully, I have not confused you on this issue. Go-Ferm is designed specifically as a rehydration nutrient. Whereas nutrients like Fermaid-K, Superfood, Fermax, etc. are designed to supplement existing must nutrients. They are NOT interchangeable...

The following was transcribed from the Lallemand Go-Ferm PDF document:
Quote:
GO-FERM is a 100% biological special inactive yeast, produced through a specific autolysing process on yeast biomass in order to obtain high levels of certain essential vitamins (i.e. pantothenate, biotin), minerals (i.e. magnesium, zinc and manganese) and amino acids. ...developed as a tool to avoid sluggish and stuck fermentations. GO-FERMís effect is evident at the end of fermentation, where quality risks are greatest. It promotes a significantly higher viability of yeast cells and therefore a quicker and more complete consumption of residual sugars even in high maturity grape musts.
Do not use other nutrients (or DAP) in the rehydration water e.g., Fermax, Superfood, Fermaid-K, et.al.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thread resurrection alert: Hightest, if you are still around....

How does this taste?

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Cascadegan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a blackberry mead (12lbs honey 2lbs berries 3gal total volume) aging right now, tastes fantastic but hot at 3 months

Champagne yeast was used, very basic unrefined process used (just nutrients and 4 gals of honey added in steps no starter oxygen infusion temp control etc) so could be anywhere from 16-20%