best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed) - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #81
Freezeblade
Recipes 

May 2008
Oakland, California
Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Black Sabbath of all the "classic" metal bands I think, as they spawned my favorite sub-genre of metal, doom metal. Slow, pondering, textural and epic. Bands such as Ulver (well, my fav album by them at least, "Bergtatt"), Agalloch, Candlemass, In the Woods, and Doomsword. Although my fav metal band would probably be Agalloch, folk-influenced doom metal. Fantastic stuff.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #82
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

Good Lord...

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath -- those are not metal bands.

"Acid Rock" would be the correct genre.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #83
Freezeblade
Recipes 

May 2008
Oakland, California
Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Good Lord...

I don't know, I'd classify Black Sabbath as more Proto-doom, and listening to some of it, I'd call it more "metal" than LZ or DP due to the instrumentation, scooped mids in the distortion, and overall heavyness. Of course, it really matters on the album one is speaking of.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #84
yashicamat
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Manchester, United Kingdom

I am appreciating Metallica a lot more recently. Although it doesn't appear to the casual listener as heavy metal, numbers like "Nothing Else Matters" are full of feeling without the need to go mental on the guitar.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #85
FireBrewer

Recipes 

May 2007
Fallston, MD
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
Freaking cool and under appreciated ---> Mudvayne. Lacuna Coil. Five Finger Death Punch. Straight Line Stitch. Type O Negative. Pist On. Armored Saint.

Whiners ---> Metallica.
MEGATHIS!! Love Mudvayne. And I liked Metallica up until after the black album. Definitely whiners.

A question of who's the "best" metal band is like asking which beer is the best. But I'll put my vote in for Pantera. RIP Dimebag.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Dethklok yet. Cartoon metal band, I know, but I think the show's hilarious and the CD is ****ing sweet! You want machine gun drumming? Gene Hoglan delivers:

Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #86
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Good Lord...

And add 4oz's of wheat to a beer and it's a hefe, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I don't know, I'd classify Black Sabbath as more Proto-doom, and listening to some of it, I'd call it more "metal" than LZ or DP due to the instrumentation, scooped mids in the distortion, and overall heavyness. Of course, it really matters on the album one is speaking of.

Black Sabbath has influenced every dark metal band since 1970

Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #87
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

wait wait wait---------

Someone else knows about Lacuna Coil? Holy crap!

Mudvayne gets a vote from me too!
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 10-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #88
Schwind
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Richmond, VA

Lamb of God is the best current metal band. And now that Randy has lightened up on the sauce they put on a hell of a show. Pantera was my favorite in high school. Opeth is on heavy rotation in the truck. Every album is amazing. Its like those guys put on a symphony and then kill everything in their path. F-ing beautiful.

Oh and Megadeth is sh*t. Dave Mustaines voice makes me want to take a bath with a toaster.
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Kegged: Barleywine, Lawn Chair Pilz

Old 10-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #89
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Liked 1368 Times on 1337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwind View Post
Opeth is on heavy rotation in the truck. Every album is amazing. Its like those guys put on a symphony and then kill everything in their path. F-ing beautiful.
Opeth rules my iPod currently. Saw them with Dream Theater not that long ago. Incredible show.
Coheed and Cambria is growing on me as well. While not really metal, they are awesome in concert.

There is so much good music in the metal genre. Pity that some folks prefer to draw lines and draw conclusions rather than appreciate what is out there.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #90
chainsawbrewing

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Indianapolis,IN
Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts

savatage. they've been my favorite since around 1992

my bar build