best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed) - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #111
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Burien, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nevermore used to open a lot of shows in my neck of the woods - good guys, good music.

**** Dragonforce and their D&D - wizards and magic bull****. Too corny to listen to. And one of the guys pulls a wammy bar and everybody is "like, oh my god." I mean, those guys are good but every song is the same and very gimmicky.

Not my favorite, but an honorable mention being Canadian and all. (Who knew that aside from Rush any music was made there?) Here is some Strapping Young Lad.

[youtube]QrNOqVZbwWw[/youtube]

[youtube]QvurHEvxCcc[/youtube]

BTW - Megadeth is a very solid band band. It seems that people remember the MTV videos and not the quality metal that was the Rust in Peace album.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #112
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Indianapolis,IN
Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWernBrewer View Post
Nevermore used to open a lot of shows in my neck of the woods - good guys, good music.

**** Dragonforce and their D&D - wizards and magic bull****. Too corny to listen to. And one of the guys pulls a wammy bar and everybody is "like, oh my god." I mean, those guys are good but every song is the same and very gimmicky.

Not my favorite, but an honorable mention being Canadian and all. (Who knew that aside from Rush any music was made there?) Here is some Strapping Young Lad.

[youtube]QrNOqVZbwWw[/youtube]

[youtube]QvurHEvxCcc[/youtube]

BTW - Megadeth is a very solid band band. It seems that people remember the MTV videos and not the quality metal that was the Rust in Peace album.

i saw nevermore open up for savatage in a little bar up by chicago a few years ago. met warrel dane, and the rest of the crew. amazing songwriters, great musicians, and swell stand up nice guys! jeff loomis is my 2nd favorite guitarist, right after alex skolnick.

oh ****! S.Y.L.!!!!

devin townsend is a bad ass. he's my number two favorite metal/rock vocalist (first favorite being mike patton of faith no more/tomohawk/mr. bungle/peeping tom/etc. ) both of those guys' range, and depth is amazing. his solo stuff is great as well. the video for LOVE? is the best video ever. if you haven't seen it, it's like a remake of the evil dead 2 movie, and it's an awesome song. i really like the new S.Y.L. c.d., "the new black." it has a good range of stuff on it.

and +1 to the dragonforce crap. they're fast, but so what?? they can't write a song worth a crap. they wrote one song, and just put different lyrics to it ten times, and called it a c.d. being an actual guitarist, and musician, it makes me want to strangle all the wannabe's that think they're gods gift to music because they have long hair and whammy bars. steve vai, buckethead, joe santriani, those guys are guitarists.

my bar build

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #113
Schwind

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Richmond, VA

Thank you for giving Mike Patton the respect he deserves. I f'ing love that guy. He's completely pycho in a really great way.

I saw SYL a few years ago at the first Sounds of the Underground tour. Lamb of God, Opeth, Clutch and of course GWAR headlined.

For those that haven't heard them,
check out the Human Abstract
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Kegged: Barleywine, Lawn Chair Pilz

Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #114
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Greenville, Ohio
Liked 125 Times on 88 Posts

Pantera or Sabbath ..... Morbid Angel or Slayer (if you include sub categories of Metal)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #115
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 269 Times on 134 Posts

holy ****, guys. you started this thread when i was on vacation!!!!!

damn...let's see.

NWOBHM: Judas Priest (and Halford), Iron Maiden

Death Metal: Death, hands down. Morbid Angel is up there. Necrophagist is awesome, too. oh, and don't forget Dethklok. i'm not kidding, that album is incredible.

Thrash: Slayer of course, but Testament is my favorite. amazing band...the new album kicks ass, too. Megadeth is good (mustainadeth can get annoying, tho)

as for other genres, i'm a huge fan of:
3 Inches of Blood
Venom
Pantera

i'm also really digging the new mixed genre stuff, such as some norther, children of bodom, kalmah, etc.

oh, and black sabbath deserves some respect, too.

sorry if i forgot anyone...i'm kinda working right now

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #116
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
being an actual guitarist, and musician, it makes me want to strangle all the wannabe's that think they're gods gift to music because they have long hair and whammy bars. steve vai, buckethead, joe santriani, those guys are guitarists.
Yeah, they are fast, but that's not all that makes them good. I never said they were the best guitarists ever (totally goes to Satriani/Vai), but they are some of if not the best (living) current metal guitarists. Their techniques and speed are impressive, they use some things that no one else does, etc, etc. I totally understand how you could not like their music. I like them a lot but still have to take them in doses. However, to say that they're not really good at what they do is baseless unless you can prove that there are a 100s of metal guitarists doing a better job on guitar, or bass, or keyboard, or singing. Hell, all the people in Dragonforce, even if you hate their music, and incredibly talented musicians. For example, I think Zeppelin is good, they're all talented and were innovative, but I can't stand their music.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #117
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

If your talking about Death Metal - nobody, and I mean nobody can come close to ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	cannibal_corpse_logo2.gif
Views:	77
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	8149  

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #118
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Oakland, CA