Call me overly paranoid, but I had an idea to create a complete closed system brewing system. It isn’t quite done, but this is the first step. Here is how I envision it working.
1. With about 15min left in the boil prop the lid on the edge of the kettle with the cooling coils in the boil.
2. With about 1min left seal the lid down. I still need to build a clamp that goes through the keg handles, put a silicone seal around the lid’s perimeter, and install a HEPA filter in the lid to allow the kettle to breath.
3. Start my pump and the cooling coil to create Jamil’s whirlpool immersion chiller
4. After cooled I can let the trub settle for a long time and not worry about contamination as the kettle is sealed.
5. In the meantime I will fill a carboy with sanitizer and drain it with MoreBeer’s Sterile Siphon Starter
6. Finally I will connect my kettle to the Sterile Siphon Starter to fill my fermentor.
Now I just need to figure out how to aerate and pitch the yeast.