Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > newbie - recommend built-in kegerator?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
brewthunda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default newbie - recommend built-in kegerator?

Hi folks - I'm a total newbie to home brewing. I brewed a few gallons 16 years ago in college with a kit, but that's it. This site is great. Brewthunda is my real life nickname, so I think I'm pre-destined to become a regular here.

Although I'm not quite ready to start home-brewing again, I am building a home bar and I want to install a built-in, under cabinet kegerator. Can anyone here suggest a good model to go with?

How about good vendors to buy from? I'm in the Portland, OR area, if that helps.

Anyone hear anything good/bad about the Summit Under-Counter Draft Beer Kegerator?

Kegerator - Summit Under-Counter Beer

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd say the price tag is pretty high. You could build the same thing for a few hundred out of a small refrigerator and buying the parts.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello View Post
I'd say the price tag is pretty high. You could build the same thing for a few hundred out of a small refrigerator and buying the parts.
I agree. Take a look at this thread for some ideas on all ends of the spectrum.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I'd love to build my own, but I'd really like this to be built in to a bar - with little to no ventilation in the back. Fridges designed for that aren't cheap.

I just noticed that the Summit is just a normal mini fridge with a fan mounted on the back - so it's not exactly a great built-in design. The search continues, I guess.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Try a chest freezer.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewthunda View Post
Thanks guys. I'd love to build my own, but I'd really like this to be built in to a bar - with little to no ventilation in the back. Fridges designed for that aren't cheap.

I just noticed that the Summit is just a normal mini fridge with a fan mounted on the back - so it's not exactly a great built-in design. The search continues, I guess.
The idea with the mini fridge is you can position the radiator (or whatever it's called) on the side and run a fan over it, just like the commercial units do. Basically you rotate it 90 degrees and build a new insulated box with a door on what was once the side of the fridge.