Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Getting ready for my 1st cider and ?s

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Fireguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Getting ready for my 1st cider and ?s

Ok, I have my 5 Gals of No preservative Cider, and my campden tablets, also my 2 #s of brown suger. I think Im ready but since im new, im a bit nervous.

My plan is to put the campden tablets in shortly, then tommarow pitch my yeast and brown suger. Will that work or should I mix my suger today when adding the crucshed campen tabs?

please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Fireguy
Recipes 

Also, as Im reading some other threads im getting a bit confused... the cider is pasturized, does this mean I might not need to add the campden tabs, or does that even matter. Sorry for the dumb ?s, its kinda uneasy not knowing what im doing.thanks again

Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Jilaman
Recipes 

If the cider is already pasturized make sure it has no Potassium sorbate in it. If it does, it will not ferment. If it is already pasteurized there is no need to add the campden tabs. Add the sugard and dissolve it well, and then pitch your yeast.

I used unpasteurized cider and I added my sugar, along with the campden tabs crushed up and made sure it all dissolved well, waited 24 hours and then pitched my yeasties.
Kegged: Pliny the Elder clone - Austin Homebrew Supply
Drinking: Everything from Texas Breweries!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Fireguy
Recipes 

thanks jiliman, under ingredients it only states - Pasturized apple cider and ascorbic acid. It is musselmans, not from concentrate 100 % juice apple cider.
I hope this will work!? thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

That will work fine, no worries at all. Though I might add, you might want to consider going without the sugar. Unless you are set on it, I would go with a simple straight juice cider first. Just my opinion, I think everyone should try that first before changing. Or better yet, start out with two batches! haha

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pasteurized juice whether it's concentrate or not with Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) will work fine.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Fireguy
Recipes 

Thanks again folks!

But yet another dumb new-b Question ?.... Ok, since I didnt read some of these post before it was too late... I went ahead and put 1 crushed campden tab per gal, then mixed the 2 #s of suger and cider (along withe the campden tabs) into my mixing bucket. that was bout 3 pm yesterday. I plan on Racking (if that is the right term) the cider into my carboy tonight, then pitching my yeast. so im wondering when i Transfer to the carboy, if I should filter that sediment from the cider out or just do it when i go to the secondary?

thanks , you guys are great!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Fireguy
Recipes 

oh crap.... I forgot..... When I pitch the yeast is that the proper time to check the Specific gravity? thanks again

Old 10-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pull the sample for testing SG before you pitch. Anytime after mixing the ingredients together to pitching is good to take it to test. You'd even have a few hours after pitching if you forget but is not ideal because you can't be sure when the yeast will get active...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
oldtimeydave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not a dumb question however you are talking about the real secondary right? Not just transferring after the campden to your fermentation vessel?

I'll answer both ways to be safe.

In the primary fermentation vessel I'd transfer sediment and all. The apple sediment could offer up nutrients and flavor for the next few weeks.

In secondary rack off as much of the sediment as you can. That is one of the main points in racking cider and wine, and beer too I imagine. To get the "good stuff" off of the "bad stuff" so your cider or whatever doesn't take on "off" flavors. So yeah rack it well.

I may be racking some of my pressings twice this year, something I have rarely done but I figure it can't hurt. If I had conicals I'd keep dropping the dead yeast and sediment until clear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy View Post
Thanks again folks!

But yet another dumb new-b Question ?.... Ok, since I didnt read some of these post before it was too late... I went ahead and put 1 crushed campden tab per gal, then mixed the 2 #s of suger and cider (along withe the campden tabs) into my mixing bucket. that was bout 3 pm yesterday. I plan on Racking (if that is the right term) the cider into my carboy tonight, then pitching my yeast. so im wondering when i Transfer to the carboy, if I should filter that sediment from the cider out or just do it when i go to the secondary?

thanks , you guys are great!

Future Brews
About the press my 2009 cider varieties.

Primary
30 gallons of farmhouse apples from Fruitland Washington.

Kegged
08' Kingston Black Cider 08' Yarlington Mill Cider 08' Gravenstein Cider 08' Graveyard Blend Cider