HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cranberry Zinger for the holidays?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
ajwillys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Cranberry Zinger for the holidays?

Hey,
I'm looking to brew something different for the holidays and bottle it in champagne bottles that I can give away. I'm leaning towards this cranberry zinger recipe I found because I'm intrigued by the ease, fruit, and champagne-like taste.

Here's a link to the recipe when a group brew was done (long before my time around here):

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/19135-post1.html

Anyway, my question is, does anybody still brew this regularly and what do more typical beer drinkers think of it?

Lastly, it's only 4.8% ABV. Any way to kick it up to 6-7% ABV without ruining the taste?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Am I right in saying there is no bittering hops or am I misreading the recipe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a cranberry ale recipe I'm dying to make but I can't find any fresh cranberries. Shouldn't they be out soon?

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
ajwillys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweface View Post
Am I right in saying there is no bittering hops or am I misreading the recipe?
It's only a 30 minute boil. The hops are added at 30 minutes.

4 AAU Willamette hops (30 mins)
(0.8 oz./23 g of 5% alpha acids)

So, I guess there are no full 60 minute hops.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Huh. You've got me intrigued, I need to do my holiday Christmas-Present beer still.
Let me think about this.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
ajwillys
Recipes 

I did some more searching and apparently Chris Colby of BYO brews it every year. Here's his blog entry from this year about it.

The Brew Your Own Brew Blog - Brew Your Own (BYO), the How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine

I've decided I'm definitely going to do it, but I noticed in this recipe, he used pre-hopped extract. This recipe is so easy, he says 'brewing' may be an overstatement.

I might contact him on trying to kick up the ABV just a tad. After all, it is a holiday beer.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Now I'm almost DEFINITELY going to have to try this. Looks easy as punch! Good lord!

As far as raising the ABV, I would just add 1# Dextrose, like you would for Apfelwein. Or, you could add an extra 1# or 2# XLDME

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
gregs765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just made the base beer for this yesterday afternoon. Yes, it was a piece of cake! I pitched the yeast slurry from a previous batch of beer I bottled earlier in the day, and it took off like a rocket. I expect a kreusen-filled blow-off tube when I get home from work tonight.

My local grocery store just got cranberries in a few days ago, so I am going to buy what I need tonight and toss them in the freezer. That way, I know I will have my fruit on hand when I am ready to rack to secondary.

My only concern is getting all that fruit goop in my racking cane when I transfer to the bottling bucket. I've heard elsewhere that I can just tie a sanitized hop bag around the end of the cane to strain out the fruit goop. Plus, I guess I may just have to leave a bit more in the bucket with the fruit remnants than I'd like.

Greg

Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Hey everyone, I did contact him about kicking up the recipe but never heard back....

I know that I want an OG of around 1.060 (5.8%) instead of 1.044, so I need another 16 points. I also know that 1 lb. of DME raises 1 gallon of wort 44 points so....

16 / 44 * 5 gallons = 1.8 lbs to increase it to my desired level. That gives me a total of 5.5 pounds of Wheat DME on top of the honey and other fermentables.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
eatria
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer View Post
I have a cranberry ale recipe I'm dying to make but I can't find any fresh cranberries. Shouldn't they be out soon?
I'd love to have this recipe