Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Loss brew due to hop sludge, add water???

Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
wjjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Loss brew due to hop sludge, add water???

I just moved my IPA into the secondary today, I tasted it and wow was it strong! Almost too strong. I lost allot of brew due to hop sludge. I was wondering if I should add some clean water to top off the secondary? Or just leave it as is. If I add more water will it be too weak? I made the mistake of dryhoping the primary, thats why so much sludge. Any help will be great, thanks!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't add water. It will affect the overall quality of your beer (make it weaker). In the future, plan your batches a bit larger to account for water absorbtion by dry hopping. It doesn't matter what phase you dry hop in, you will lose volume either way.