re hydrating Safale S05 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
my question is, should i re hydrate safale s 05 dry yeast with sugar? i see john palmer uses sugar? i have 1 packet of safale s 05 and i was just gonna re hydrate with a half cup of 80 F water. should i add a half tsp sugar?

I try to let it cool to the same temp that I am going to pitch at. Generally 68-70ish. Not always possible depending on ambient temp, 80 should be fine though

How necessary is the stirring on the Safale yeasts? I'm a little confused as to what that does, can anyone point me in the right direction for reading up on that?

I've stopped re-hydrating dry yeast for any brew with an OG under 1.060. Never had a problem, just sprinkle on top of the wort and let it sit.

I am currently rehydrating Safale 05 as I write this (waiting on the wort chiller to finish). I warm the yeast packet to room temps, boil water, let it cool to about 95 degrees 30 minutes before needed and dump the yeast in. I have had very good luck rehydrating dry yeast and it seems to get fermentation started much quicker (a good thing).

YMMV,
Dan

Yeah, I think you'll get better results if the water you pitch into is a little warmer, like 90F. As long as it's under 105 or so, you won't damage the cells. I like to swirl the vessel around after I pitch the packet, just to make sure the little pellets are sufficiently hydrated.

Rehydrating protects the cells from shock as they're pitched into the sweet wort. It will increase your viable cell count a great deal.

I've done it both ways. The website suggests hydrating in water just like you said but as others have testified, you'll get beer either way.

Back