Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Making Midas Touch - need substitute for Muscat grape concentrate

Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Cugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making Midas Touch - need substitute for Muscat grape concentrate

Hey everyone,

Am working on a braggot-ish brew next time out - DFH's Midas Touch (BYO - Dogfish Head's Midas Touch: The Replicator).

I seem to require Muscat grape concentrate. Does anyone know if there's a similar grape juice that I can use that's available locally? I'm thinking Welch's white grape juice in particular.

Thanks!

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

Why don't you just order the real thing from Northern Brewer at $14.99 per can?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm gonna say that the Welch's isn't going to get you what you are looking for. If you have a LHBS check with them to see if they sell concentrate. Or you can order it from any of the online HBS.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Why don't you just order the real thing from Northern Brewer at $14.99 per can?
Their Muscat has been out of stock for some weeks now. My LHBS does not stock Alexanders, and claim that Alexanders has very little distribution nowdays and they cannot get it for me on special order.

Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I picked up some muscat a few weeks ago here in Portland. The shop as online ordering too. I didn't see any concentrate listed on the site, but I'm sure if you contact them you can order it (F. H. Steinbart Company - Beer and Wine Making Supplies and Equipment). Also, a quick google search brings up a few online shops that appear to have it.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So, I have a can of the Alexander's Muscat here.... I can't find reasonably priced saffron. Where did you get yours?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Cugel
Recipes 

Thanks guys for all your replies. I guess I'll just order online and suck up the shipping - which was why I was fixated on NB.

Haven't even looked into the saffron end of things yet - but we have plenty of Indian, Middle-Eastern import stores near us so I don't think 1/2 tsp will be much of an issue. I am sure that friends could also help us with that 1/2 tsp saffron.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
iddqd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same question. Couldn't find any european shops that sold it and ordering from the US isn't really an option.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Here's a good thread on saffron, with iirc links and info on getting some...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/saffron-ale-62729/

Best bet, look at mexican, indian and asian groceries, they will have it much cheaper than anywhere else...gorocery stores usually carry it, as well as gourmet places, but since it is the most expensive spice on the planet...lesser "grades" are usually available in ethnic groceries, for A LOT LESS than the other places.

You'll usually find small plastic boxes of it

And as someone who cooks with saffron a lot (I'm Spanish} if you steep the threads in water, you can actually get away with using less than most beer recipes call for...just make a tea with hot water and let is soak till it is darkm and add that when it calls for the threads...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew