Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider hasn't started to ferment, 3 days.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Corvato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider hasn't started to ferment, 3 days.

OK. My latest batch of cider:
5 gallons of water
10 frozen apple juice concentrate (no preservatives)
about 4 pounds of sugar
about 1/2 cup of fresh crabapples juiced (was hoping for wild yeast)

it hasn't started fermenting after 3 days at all, the airlock shows a SLIGHT pressure, but not really significant, and it hasn't started bubbling at all.

should i worry, and run out for some champagne yeast, which i have used in the past, or wait a few more days to see if it starts bubbling?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So you didn't pitch any yeast, you're just waiting on the wild yeast from the crabapples? If I were you, I'd wait another week to see if anything happens. Wild yeast is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent, so you'll just need to see what happens. After another week, if you don't see anything, I'd say go with some dry yeast, but not champagne. Try nottingham.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Corvato
Recipes 

well, i will wait, wanted to try wild, since it was supposed to give more flavor. I wouldn't mind trying nottingham, but i don't have access to it. I refuse to spend $1 on a package of yeast, and then have to pay $8 shipping. My local brew supply store only has some ale yeast and champagne.

was thinking maby it might have TOO MUCH sugar? heard that can hurt fermentation too.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6251 Times on 4454 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvato View Post
well, i will wait, wanted to try wild, since it was supposed to give more flavor. I wouldn't mind trying nottingham, but i don't have access to it. I refuse to spend $1 on a package of yeast, and then have to pay $8 shipping. My local brew supply store only has some ale yeast and champagne.

was thinking maby it might have TOO MUCH sugar? heard that can hurt fermentation too.
No, I'm guessing a lack of yeast. That's a lot of juice, with a tiny bit of apples. Even if you had a bonanza of yeast on those crabapples, you're asking an awful lot from it. The juice wouldn't have any yeast of course, so it's a pretty "clean" must. You might have bacteria take hold way before the yeast.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'm with yooper, you are hoping to get wild yeast from a very small batch of juice. Perhaps a better method would have been to use the crab apple juice as a starter. If the wild yeast took hold in just that juice, then it could be added to the whole batch.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Corvato
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
I'm with yooper, you are hoping to get wild yeast from a very small batch of juice. Perhaps a better method would have been to use the crab apple juice as a starter. If the wild yeast took hold in just that juice, then it could be added to the whole batch.
thanks for that option. I will decide if i want to juice some more crabapples and make a small starter, get the yeast really going then add it, or just go for the champagne yeast

Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know much about wild yeast, I just imagined that they would have a better chance in that option.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Corvato
Recipes 

OK. a about a week and just a slight pressure indicated by my airlock.

i decided to go with what i did with my last batch, which worked fine:
Lalvin EC-1118 pitched into the airlock hole

the only difference between my last batch and this one

last batch was 5 gal with 9 defrosted combination of part great value and archer farm frozen concentrate. it took off pretty quick in a few days.

this batch i will wait a few day before even looking again.