Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > temp control
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default temp control

Hi guys,

I'm half way through fermenting my 2nd batch. This time I'm using a Sanyo 4912 minifridge & a Ranco temp controller. It's the AHS fat tire kit, and I set the Ranco to 65F.

One thing I've noticed is that with the differential at it's default setting, the temp ranges from 64-69. Is that too much variance? Have I thermally shocked my yeast?

I could set the temp differential lower, but I've heard that it's bad for the fridge for the compressor to come on too often. I taped the sensor to the side of my ale pale to try and stabilize it some, and it seems to go a long time between cycles. Should I dial it in tighter?

How small of a differential do you guys with temp control aim for?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As long as the compressor fires up each time, you are fine.

Sometimes when the intervals are too will cause the compressor to short cycle. That is because of the heat/pressure that is built up when it is running. The pressure causes the overload switch to trip.

If it sits for 5 minutes of so before starting back will be fine.

A 5 degree variance should not cause a problem with the compressor or the yeast. Your wort temp will not vary as much as the ambient temp in the fridge. I actually set my variance to 4 degrees, no prob with the compressor.

Brew on!