Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just tried first homebrew
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 1,348
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

yes i did boil it. i am not sure of the date on the can. my first batch was more of a act first ask questions later, so i didnt really start looking or reading till most of the process was finished. my second brew should be better. better temp control during the boil and the fermenting.

my next brew is going to be a hefe. i am going to try the swamp cooler with it.

as far as liking it. i havent had the chance to have more than one because my life has been so crazy the past few weeks, but tomorrow night i am having a few friends over, so we'll each have a few, and really decide what we like and dont like about it.

bottom like...if my hydrometer works, and the tables i used to calculate work, then its 6% alcohol, so we'll all have a bunch and it will get better as the night goes on


__________________
On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher
jonp9576 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,768
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
bottom like...if my hydrometer works, and the tables i used to calculate work, then its 6% alcohol, so we'll all have a bunch and it will get better as the night goes on
Hahaha... I'm telling you, everything eventually tastes pretty good, after you drink enough!


__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried
Torchiest is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
tomheff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
yes i did boil it. i am not sure of the date on the can. my first batch was more of a act first ask questions later, so i didnt really start looking or reading till most of the process was finished. my second brew should be better. better temp control during the boil and the fermenting.

my next brew is going to be a hefe. i am going to try the swamp cooler with it.

as far as liking it. i havent had the chance to have more than one because my life has been so crazy the past few weeks, but tomorrow night i am having a few friends over, so we'll each have a few, and really decide what we like and dont like about it.

bottom like...if my hydrometer works, and the tables i used to calculate work, then its 6% alcohol, so we'll all have a bunch and it will get better as the night goes on
When you boil it, you will caramelize the malt extract it. This is why your beer is darker than the can. The Coopers beer kits are pre-boiled. Also the original bittering and aroma hop character of the kit will be removed. In the case of the Coopers Real Ale, there isn't any aroma hop. If you choose to add aroma hops, you can make a hop tea and add it to the fermenter after straining or dry hop.
tomheff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Icewatch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 8
Default

You say that each brew gets better after setting for a month, is this from secondary fermentation in the bottle? What if after single rack go straight to soda keg, do you think this will adjust the flavor as in continued ageing? Suggestions?
Icewatch is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Msbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gulfcosat
Posts: 80
Likes Given: 3

Default

I am with you Sir on the color thing. You can't taste color. I use Coopers hoped extract with Briess unhoped extract and some steeping grains. Put a ounce of hops in the fermenter for two weeks. Some of my beers have looked like used motor oil.

i like my beer with the evening meal.

Msbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,774
Liked 5770 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewatch View Post
You say that each brew gets better after setting for a month, is this from secondary fermentation in the bottle? What if after single rack go straight to soda keg, do you think this will adjust the flavor as in continued ageing? Suggestions?
A bit of aging does wonderful things to beer! The flavors meld, and any green apple flavor (often present in young beers) fades. It's not from secondary fermentation- it's from conditioning.

If you go from primary fermenter to keg (and I often do!), you could let the beer sit in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks before kegging and then keep the keg at room temperature a couple of weeks for more conditioning. The beer will condition at cold temperatures, too, but much more slowly.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first homebrew flylock_jac Home Brewing Photo Forum 6 02-09-2009 11:22 PM
Just had my first Homebrew ClutchDude General Beer Discussion 3 04-06-2008 02:21 AM
New to homebrew moto36 Introductions 6 02-05-2007 11:19 PM
Just tried my first homebrew weekendBrewer Extract Brewing 7 01-23-2007 04:46 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS