Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just tried first homebrew

Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yes i did boil it. i am not sure of the date on the can. my first batch was more of a act first ask questions later, so i didnt really start looking or reading till most of the process was finished. my second brew should be better. better temp control during the boil and the fermenting.

my next brew is going to be a hefe. i am going to try the swamp cooler with it.

as far as liking it. i havent had the chance to have more than one because my life has been so crazy the past few weeks, but tomorrow night i am having a few friends over, so we'll each have a few, and really decide what we like and dont like about it.

bottom like...if my hydrometer works, and the tables i used to calculate work, then its 6% alcohol, so we'll all have a bunch and it will get better as the night goes on

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
bottom like...if my hydrometer works, and the tables i used to calculate work, then its 6% alcohol, so we'll all have a bunch and it will get better as the night goes on
Hahaha... I'm telling you, everything eventually tastes pretty good, after you drink enough!

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
tomheff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
yes i did boil it. i am not sure of the date on the can. my first batch was more of a act first ask questions later, so i didnt really start looking or reading till most of the process was finished. my second brew should be better. better temp control during the boil and the fermenting.

my next brew is going to be a hefe. i am going to try the swamp cooler with it.

as far as liking it. i havent had the chance to have more than one because my life has been so crazy the past few weeks, but tomorrow night i am having a few friends over, so we'll each have a few, and really decide what we like and dont like about it.

When you boil it, you will caramelize the malt extract it. This is why your beer is darker than the can. The Coopers beer kits are pre-boiled. Also the original bittering and aroma hop character of the kit will be removed. In the case of the Coopers Real Ale, there isn't any aroma hop. If you choose to add aroma hops, you can make a hop tea and add it to the fermenter after straining or dry hop.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Icewatch
Recipes 

You say that each brew gets better after setting for a month, is this from secondary fermentation in the bottle? What if after single rack go straight to soda keg, do you think this will adjust the flavor as in continued ageing? Suggestions?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Msbeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I am with you Sir on the color thing. You can't taste color. I use Coopers hoped extract with Briess unhoped extract and some steeping grains. Put a ounce of hops in the fermenter for two weeks. Some of my beers have looked like used motor oil.

i like my beer with the evening meal.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5770 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewatch View Post
You say that each brew gets better after setting for a month, is this from secondary fermentation in the bottle? What if after single rack go straight to soda keg, do you think this will adjust the flavor as in continued ageing? Suggestions?
A bit of aging does wonderful things to beer! The flavors meld, and any green apple flavor (often present in young beers) fades. It's not from secondary fermentation- it's from conditioning.

If you go from primary fermenter to keg (and I often do!), you could let the beer sit in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks before kegging and then keep the keg at room temperature a couple of weeks for more conditioning. The beer will condition at cold temperatures, too, but much more slowly.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans