Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #721
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Yeah, the temps will affect your SG readings, but not by a huge amount. If you want, you can use this calculator:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...ydrometer.html

Wy1010 does tend to get a little stinky during fermentation, but it will wear off. 60 hours is a little slow for Wy1010 to start, but shouldnt be a problem. It usually starts within 24 hours for me. Did you let the smack pack swell up before pitching? I've had a few Wyeast packs that have been slow to swell, and usually if that happens they will be slow to start as well, but they get going eventually. Generally the wheat yeasts will taste better at higher SGs, so are good for making sweeter ciders, while ale yeasts tend to finish a little sticky until they get down to below 1.012 or so (although this is somewhat subjective). If the S04 got to 1.020 in 7 days, you should be hitting 1.010 to 1.005 fairly soon

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #722
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Thanks. I waited longer than I'd have preferred on the S04. Checked this AM and it was at 1.005+/- and a tad dry. Racked and crashing right now. The 1010 still needs a day or two.

The 1010 barely swelled, which I'm sure didn't help! Question ln it though. I smacked it and left it on the kitchen counter for the 3 hours. Should I have put it back in the fridge?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #723
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I smacked it and left it on the kitchen counter for the 3 hours. Should I have put it back in the fridge?
No - if anything, move it to a slightly warmer place until it swells. Those Wyeast smack packs are fairly temperamental. Sometimes they swell right up and sometimes take forever. Several times I've done two batches with the exact same yeast, same date code, same LHBS so handling was the same, etc. and they never behave the same. If I get one that doesnt swell after a couple hours, I'll set it on top of my computer, which is just slightly warmer than the rest of the room, until it puffs all the way up. Sortofa poor man's stir plate.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #724
willyg243
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello,

I am doing a little market research before I move forward on introducing a new product to the U.S. Homebrew market. I am planning on releasing an apple cider concentrate that can be used for making hard ciders. The advantage being that it is consistent, available year round, and can be stored for up to a year.

Before I go nuts and start running production I was hoping to get a little feedback from the market. Please let me know what you think of the idea or fill out this survey, so I have some hard data to work off of. Thank you for your help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMFSG9M

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMFSG9M

-Will
raecmr Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #725
raider72
Recipes 

hi need help on vanilla bourban stout please! i recently built a conical and i'm trying to figure how to add my bourban and vanilla with out a secondary process. can i just dump my yeast once i have reached final gravity and put my bourban into my conical to set for an additional week, then just bottle directltly from the conical?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #726
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider72
hi need help on vanilla bourban stout please! i recently built a conical and i'm trying to figure how to add my bourban and vanilla with out a secondary process. can i just dump my yeast once i have reached final gravity and put my bourban into my conical to set for an additional week, then just bottle directltly from the conical?
This seems off topic from the original post, but the short answer is yes. Just add your bourbon and vanilla into the conical.

-John

Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #727
raider72
Recipes 

Sorry about that I'm a new brewer and homebrewtalk user. Thanks for the response though!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #728
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg243 View Post
Hello,

I am doing a little market research before I move forward on introducing a new product to the U.S. Homebrew market. I am planning on releasing an apple cider concentrate that can be used for making hard ciders. The advantage being that it is consistent, available year round, and can be stored for up to a year.

Before I go nuts and start running production I was hoping to get a little feedback from the market. Please let me know what you think of the idea or fill out this survey, so I have some hard data to work off of. Thank you for your help.
I've seen something like this at the store. I think it's called "frozen apple juice concentrate."

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #729
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1044 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon

I've seen something like this at the store. I think it's called "frozen apple juice concentrate."
And it works great to raise the gravity of not from concentrate or reconstituted juice!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #730
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
There was a thread on this a few days back. It was suggested that the concentrates should be special blends of apples, not the run of the mill Granny Smith or Red Delicious. I'd consider some heirloom or cider concentrate blends for boosting my base flavors. But I don't think I'd be willing to pay $30 a qt.