Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #571
ChemEMc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The current batch of cider I have on tap is brilliantly clear, and I did absolutely nothing to make it so. It was pasteurized juice, and I treated it like every other batch(CK's method), used S05, added 1 lb sugar in the raw. No idea why it's so clear, no idea on what the apple mix was, it was from Millers..., but it's awesome and the taste is amazing. I really want to give filtering a try so they could all look so good, but a filter is yet one more piece to buy...

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #572
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 22

funny year over here, summer was rubbish, lots of rain, apple trees went absolutely mad, bumper crop, one week of warm weather at the beginning of october, everything ripened. people are coming out of the woodwork giving me shopping bags of apples from their uncle's tree. this jug is about 80% unknown very tart small green variety (which made itself into a banging wild yeast cider last year, i'm still holding onto a few bottles!) and the rest goudreinet, usually a cooker but some people eat them peeled. very watery (1.038), but very sharp, and very stripey.
going to supplement with a bagful of 'liberated' small red crabs (1.062!) and possibly a pinch of sugar, pitch s04, and try kevin's "cold crash at 1.010 and keg" method for the first time

then, i will get drunk

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #573
vtchuck

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Peptic Enzyme

I'm doing my second batch using your methods.... local, untreated cider, Notty yeast, Crash cooling based on taste and hydro readings, racked off the yeast to a secondary and stored at 32 F. Last year, the cider didn't clear after weeks in the secondary, so I added gelatin.... which I have used successfully in the past to clarify beer. Big mistake. The cider became more cloudy and never improved. Kegged and carbed, it was delicious, however.

Fast forward to this fall.... same procedure, only this time I used Super Kleer, which had worked very well in my mead. Although it has not become more cloudy, after a week, I am seeing no signs of clarifying.

Is it too late to try peptic enzyme or will it cause flavor issues this late in the process?

TIA and thanks for all postings... I read all 50-odd pages over a few days and there's lots of helpful info here.

Primary: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Spiced Cider
Secondary: MVP Ale
In the Bottles: Maple Sap Mead
In the Kegerators: MVP Ale, Pils
Next: ?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #574
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Is it too late to try peptic enzyme or will it cause flavor issues this late in the process?
I dont know - the whole issue of clarity is still something I'm trying to figure out. The only way I've found so far to clear the cider that is 100 percent reliable is to use unpasteurized juice, dont heat the juice, dont use apples with high pectin content and add 2-3 pounds of honey before fermentation. Following the first three rules and skipping the honey seems to result in clear cider about 90 percent of the time, but I'm not sure what it is that keeps that last 10 percent from clearing. And last year it was lot worse, more like 30 percent that didnt clear - at least not for a while. Eventually they do all seem to clear by late Spring, but that is a long time to tie up a secondary.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #575
vtchuck

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks. This batch is for the holidays, so if its not clear by Thanksgiving, its into the cornie no matter what.

After thinking about it I have an avenue for experimentation.... I have a 5 G carboy and a 3/4 full 1 G carboy of cider both treated with Super Kleer and cold conditioning. (I started w/ 6 gallons). I'll experiment with the small batch, and if I screw it up, no biggie.

So how how much peptic enzyme per gallon?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #576
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
So how how much peptic enzyme per gallon?
I used the amount on the label, which was 1/2 tsp per gallon. That is interesting that the Super Kleer didnt work for you. It worked great on my test batch, although I cant vouch for the taste yet. How long did you wait between adding the two parts?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #577
vtchuck

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
I used the amount on the label, which was 1/2 tsp per gallon. That is interesting that the Super Kleer didnt work for you. It worked great on my test batch, although I cant vouch for the taste yet. How long did you wait between adding the two parts?
I think it was an hour.... whatever it said on the instructions. I'm wondering whether its a problem that the cider was cold. My results with my mead were fast and dramatic, so I'm puzzled as well.

It might be the apples. This is a local with lots of wild apple trees on his property. Probably an orchard at some time in the distant past, but not any kind of commercial orchard with defined varieties.

I tried a scant 1/2 tsp of enzyme on the smaller batch.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #578
bigsilk
Recipes 

I see drums in the background -- any effect after a loud jam?

-Dave Barry

Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #579
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I checked my gravity yesterday and it was at 1.018 and still bubbling. It tasted good so I kegged it and put it in the fridge. I don't have room to cold crash with a carboy before I keg so hopefully everything will settle and either get sucked out within the first glass or two or I may have to transfer over to another keg.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #580
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
hopefully everything will settle and either get sucked out within the first glass or two
I've never tried this before, but it should work. The first day or two should drop a lot of sediment, so you probably want to pour at least a pint or two a day for the first few days until it is running clear. It will be muddy at first but drinkable and lots of B vitamins. Just dont eat/drink anything with a lot of sugar before drinking the cider, because those first few pints will have a lot of viable yeast in them. Probably also wouldnt hurt to give the keg a gentle shake each day so that the sediment on the bottom moves into the little dimple at the bottom where the end of the keg's liquid tube goes.

Quote:
I see drums in the background -- any effect after a loud jam?
A few pints makes the drummer sound better. Not necessarily play better.