Snowflakes in my fermenter. Problem? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Snowflakes in my fermenter. Problem?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Dukester
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR

First off, I went through the FAQ and there is so much there in the "Did I ruin my beer" part I couldn't get through it all. I mean there are at least 20 "Did I ruin my beer" threads and another 10+ "Should I dump it" threads. Too hard to sort through.

I just finished brewing my first batch of beer after a long (15 year) hiatus. It's true what they say about knowledge, if you don't use it, you lose it.

So after filling my carboy with two gallons of cold water, pouring the wort through the strainer into the carboy, and adding enough water to bring it up to 5 1/2 gallons (and prior to adding yeast) I have snowflake like particulate matter in the bottom half of the carboy. It is settling out, but my question, is is this normal? Is this the Irish Moss going to work on the proteins in the beer?

Hope I haven't ruined my first batch in a long time before I even gotten started.

Thanks,

Dukester

Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

May 2008
MA
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I'm not really sure what you mean by snowflakes, but I'm thinking its just break material that is going to settle out. Got any pictures?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Seattle, Washington
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

sounds like cold break to me

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Dukester
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR

Yep, looks like this:

Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

yer good............

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

You must have done things right since you got such a nice cold break.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

How do you chill?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Dukester
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Portland, OR

Chilled with nothing but good cold Northwest tap water. Added wort to two gallons cold tap water, then additional tap water up to 5.5 gal. Temp was just a hair over 78į after a stir and hydrometer reading.

Now that I know what I'm looking at, I see there are various opinions as to whether or not I should remove the cold break sediment. Should I think about racking to a secondary after it all settles out?

Cheers,

Dukester

Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
JoMarky
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Albany, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Yep, looks like this:

That's a beaut. Wait til it starts swirling around the carboy when fermentation kicks in, you may want to set an alarm.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

The reason there are all those "did I ruin my beer" threads lumped in one place, is NOT so that you have to wade through all of them, but to show you that EVERY NEW BREWER thinks they ruined their beer, when in reality their beer is fine...like yours. And to show you that you should first relax, and secondly never dump your beer...

So take the advice given in all of those threads and RELAX!

All you are seeing is normal fermentation; you are seeing yeast/hops/trub/cold breaks all being kicked around

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew