Dear every teacher I've ever had... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dear every teacher I've ever had...

Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hmm.

Hubristic Illegitimate Child Ale?

Guess it doesn't sound the same

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
That is odd... its not like you were even using a oddball word. I mean, I am assuming this is a college level thing, how have you never heard of hubris? Seems fishy to me. Was it a TA?
Exactly! Not a TA, a college professor! Granted, it's an intro class at a community college, but still... you're supposed to be a teacher. I go back to my initial statement that just circling those gosh durn funny-looking words doesn't do either of us any good.

To steal a turn of phrase from Salvador Dali, "Teacher, teach!"

Old 10-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #23
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
Exactly! Not a TA, a college professor! Granted, it's an intro class at a community college, but still... you're supposed to be a teacher. I go back to my initial statement that just circling those gosh durn funny-looking words doesn't do either of us any good.
I had a prof once at school for two subjects in the same semester. This guy was hired by the college on short notice to fill a void left by a prof who got pissed at the school and left. So I am stuck with this guy who doesn't know d!ck about engineering and especially the classes he is teaching! Long story short, I was paying for this imbecile to F-up this class and mark my correct solutions wrong because he didn't understand the theories! I got so pissed after the first test, I went to the front of the class and proved the solution from basic principals in front of the whole class to make this guy feel like an idiot. At the end he was like, yes that's correct but you still don't get any points. This pretty much continued all year and I got B's in both of his classes, drastically lowering my GPA and I was straight pissed about it. I couldn't reverse the grades, but I did get the idiot fired, so I saved future generations from his idiocy.

If you have a teacher you are paying to be intelligent on a subject and they are not, call them out and make their life hell until they shape up or get out! [/rant]

Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
I'm just saying that unless this type of markup means something completely different than what I think it does, it's basically saying "Hey! I'm an a**hole with a red pen!" Might as well just write, "F** you" on the paper with no other explanation.
I'm not defending teachers or anything, but if you're having to read at least 30 papers per class multiplied by how many ever classes you have, it's easier to just circle a word than having to write out why I circled the word.

I review and red-line a lot of documents/studies/plans. If you don't understand why I marked up something, the onus is on you to ask me why i marked it up the way i did.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #25
Danek
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Sheffield, UK
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, I'd guess if the word was circled it means the teacher thinks you used it inappropriately. At the very least, if there's doubt about why the word was circled, you should ask. That'd remove any doubt or ignorance, which is surely one of the main aims of education.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #26
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
I'm not defending teachers or anything, but if you're having to read at least 30 papers per class multiplied by how many ever classes you have, it's easier to just circle a word than having to write out why I circled the word.

I review and red-line a lot of documents/studies/plans. If you don't understand why I marked up something, the onus is on you to ask me why i marked it up the way i did.
Bull. Your job as teacher is to teach. It'd be a lot easier for me to copy down stuff someone else had written, too. But I don't, because that's not what I'm there for.

The teacher is there to teach, which includes correcting mistakes. The purpose of marking up a document is to indicate what is wrong with it, not to exercise your personal stream of consciousness.

If I wandered off mid-topic into something that bore no relevance to the subject at hand, I would be marked off for it. Is the onus on the teacher to try to understand why I was confused? Absolutely not. Why? Because it does not serve to educate. Just as it does not serve to educate for a teacher to express their own personal delirium on a paper they are marking.

Or to continue the analogy to the absurd, if I wrote all my future papers in German I could rest secure in my knowledge that the onus is on the teacher to translate it.

Edit: Just to be clear for those who say I should just ask - This is not a rant against one particular teacher. This is a rant against the general practice of circling a word used correctly for no other reason than your own ignorance.

Bopper Likes This 
Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #27
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
This is usually what I take it to mean, but in some of my upper division college classes, we actually had to "dumb down" our writing to make it more understandable to the common person, so maybe that's what your teacher/professor is saying.
The thing I would have to then ask would be if it were a technical writing class, or something of that nature where they are specifically teaching you to address a particular audience. Then it is correct to judge misplaced vocabulary. If it's just a personal gripe of the teachers then it would be incorrect to call attention to "Hubris".

At any rate, it is most likely affecting the grade so I would indeed question why this was done. Albeit gently, indirectly....you don't want the person grading you to take up issue with you....you know like "I noticed that you circled "Hubris" here and wrote some question marks next to it, could you explain to me what is incorrect here"?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

Eh... I'll pass the class regardless. Generally speaking, it's best not to put myself in situations where there's likely to be an argument with a person in authority, especially when I'm right. I tend to get worked up.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #29
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post

If you have a teacher you are paying to be intelligent on a subject and they are not, call them out and make their life hell until they shape up or get out! [/rant]
That's kind of the crux of the matter. It should be addressed in an orderly manner first, otherwise it can turn into a semester long struggle because emotions get involved. I agree though, they do need to be called out and held accountable, but there needs to be a history on behalf of the student so that he/she can fall back on "here are the steps I went through" if push comes to shove and the Dean gets involved...etc.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #30
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

Quote:
Eh... I'll pass the class regardless. Generally speaking, it's best not to put myself in situations where there's likely to be an argument with a person in authority, especially when I'm right. I tend to get worked up.
It's a rock and a hard place really. If you step out and call it, then your work will be scrutinized either overtly or surreptitiously...but it will be scrutinized. If you're always right on the subject then it's no big deal, but sometimes it's just not worth the effort to pursue it.