Dear every teacher I've ever had... - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dear every teacher I've ever had...

Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Ah, you cheeky bastards! I knew someone was going to call me out on this...

Quote:
I tend to be cocky, arrogant, and intolerant, no matter how misplaced my hubris may be.
I leave it to the panel to decide. No offense on anyone's part inferred, BTW.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Perhaps you should have footnoted a definition for the teacher.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
...so maybe that's what your teacher/professor is saying.
Maybe they could actually say what they're saying is my point, instead of being obtuse in attempting to communicate their opinion that I should communicate more clearly.

Not knocking you... I'm just saying that unless this type of markup means something completely different than what I think it does, it's basically saying "Hey! I'm an a**hole with a red pen!" Might as well just write, "F** you" on the paper with no other explanation.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
jspence1

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks that's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. I looked up a word I'll never use. Hell even if I could find a way to use it in conversation people would think I made it up

Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
goplayoutside
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Houston, Lone Star
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't mean to be an a-hole here, but speaking of hubris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
...when you can't do....TEACH!
The way I look at it, there will always be some individuals who are bright enough to make direct contributions in their fields and also possess communication skills and enjoy working with people. These individuals will have to choose between working in their fields and teaching. Lack of respect for the teaching profession, as exemplified by the above comment, probably keeps some of those people who could go either way from seriously considering a career in education.

Maybe the fact that our culture tells our best minds that they can "do better" than "just teaching" is relevant to the fact that the US public education system lags significantly behind the average for industrialized nations... and maybe that has something to do with the fact that we are increasingly being out-competed in high-tech sectors by other economies, notably India and China?

Of course it's important to have good minds doing the actual work, but if we are not preparing our up-and-coming professionals to succeed in a globally competitive environment it is difficult to envision a future where Americans will enjoy the same standard of living to which we have grown accustomed over the past two generations. So I say... "If you can do, TEACH!"

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

That is odd... its not like you were even using a oddball word. I mean, I am assuming this is a college level thing, how have you never heard of hubris? Seems fishy to me. Was it a TA?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
Thanks that's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. I looked up a word I'll never use. Hell even if I could find a way to use it in conversation people would think I made it up
I think you will find that many many people know what hubris is. Have you ever heard of a poem called the Odyssey, it is about a warrior (Odysseus) and his hubris against Poseidon, and his adventures to make his way home against the will of some of the gods. That is just one example, many stories and works of literature center around a theme of hubris.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
I think you will find that many many people know what hubris is. Have you ever heard of a poem called the Odyssey, it is about a warrior (Odysseus) and his hubris against Poseidon, and his adventures to make his way home against the will of some of the gods. That is just one example, many stories and works of literature center around a theme of hubris.
I like to dip my pita chips in hubris

Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I like to dip my pita chips in hubris
I think I just hubrised in my pants

Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goplayoutside View Post
Lack of respect for the teaching profession, as exemplified by the above comment, probably keeps some of those people who could go either way from seriously considering a career in education.
Classic chicken/egg scenario there. Does the lack of respect come from the fact that there are a lot of "bottom-of-the-barrel" teachers already, or are there a lot of bottom-of-the-barrel teachers because no self-respecting [whatever] would put up with the lack of respect teachers get?

In the end, money talks. You up those paychecks to the point where it's a competitive option to advancement within the field of discipline, and you'll see more competition for the same teaching job, which leads to a positive evolution in the quality of educators.