Dear every teacher I've ever had... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dear every teacher I've ever had...

Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

If you don't understand a word that I've used in my essay/writing assignment, look it the f**k up. Circling it and putting question marks next to it does neither of us any good.

I have had numerous teachers do this to my papers going back as far as I can remember, and I cannot for the life of me figure out the intended purpose.

Sorry if this isn't appropriate here, but I just started going back to school (yet again) and I got a paper back marked this way. Is this some sort of secret code they teach in teacher school? Because I sure as hell don't have a decoder ring.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

I am posting her because I find your pain quite ammusing. I am glad for the teachers I've had, both good ones and bad ones, but in general....I think there are a LOT more good teacher than bad, but I still think that when you can't do....TEACH!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Parker36

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Lesotho
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
but I still think that when you can't do....TEACH!
Oh come on, its true that you don't need to be top of your field to be a good teacher, but it takes a whole different skill set. I've had some of the top minds in my field teach me. They knew everything and were geniuses, but couldn't teach worth a damn. To teach you need to be both adept at the subject and skilled in conveying information.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
To teach properly you need to be both adept at the subject and skilled in conveying information.
I fixed that for you!

Your point is correct though....I AM top of my field in many areas, but I don't have the patience with people to teach someone to open a bottle of pop.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I AM top of my field in many areas, but I don't have the patience with people to teach someone to open a bottle of pop.
I think that's pretty common for people who are very good at things... no patience for teaching it.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
If you don't understand a word that I've used in my essay/writing assignment, look it the f**k up. Circling it and putting question marks next to it does neither of us any good.

I have had numerous teachers do this to my papers going back as far as I can remember, and I cannot for the life of me figure out the intended purpose.

Sorry if this isn't appropriate here, but I just started going back to school (yet again) and I got a paper back marked this way. Is this some sort of secret code they teach in teacher school? Because I sure as hell don't have a decoder ring.
So wait, you're essentially saying your paper is being red marked because the teacher doesn't have your level of vocabulary? Are these red marks affecting the paper grade?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ

I have no idea in this case. All I know is that she circled the word "hubris" and put a bunch of question marks next to it. There were plenty of other marks on the paper, so I have no way of knowing what she meant by that or if/how it affected the grade.

I just find it fascinating that teachers do this. I can only assume it means they aren't familiar with that particular word and are too damn lazy to look it up and too stupid to shut up about it.

If it were one teacher I'd write it off as a quirk. But I've seen this from a number of teachers starting back in grade school. Like I said, I need a secret decoder ring or something.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Jester369

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Vermont
Liked 218 Times on 142 Posts

Is it that they don't understand what the word means, or could it be that you have used the word incorrectly? I'm not saying you are of course! I'm just trying to figure out what 's going on. Could you post some examples?

EDIT: I really hope you aren't offended by my comment - it's not intended to be douchy!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Personally I'd speak to the teacher and find out what they were trying to communicate. Circling a word and using question marks is copy-editing shorthand for saying either "I don't understand this word" or "I don't understand why you used this word here". While it is entirely possible that the teacher was just lazy and didn't look up the word, I'd want to find out for sure by speaking to them.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
A4J

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog View Post
"I don't understand why you used this word here".
This is usually what I take it to mean, but in some of my upper division college classes, we actually had to "dumb down" our writing to make it more understandable to the common person, so maybe that's what your teacher/professor is saying.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.