Recipe looks tasty,
I did this last year (AG):
* 7.50 pounds Maris Otter 2 Row malt
* 0.50 pound Crystal Malt L40
* 3 oz. chocolate malt
* 0.5 pound wheat malt (HMD Belgian)
* 1 pound pumpkin flesh in the boil
* 2 ounces Hallertauer (3.2 % alpha, boil 60 minutes)
* 20g "McCormic Pumpkin pie spice" @ 15min.
* Wyeast American ale yeast
I feel my recipe did not have enough spices, I should have doubled the amount. And I definatly should have gone with at least 3lbs. of pumpkin.
Originally Posted by zman
***I am confused about step 2. I am thinking that I bake the Pumpkin first add it to the grain bag with the other grains and then steep for 45 min? Why would I add "cool water" if I am already at my mash temp? I am going to do the mash in my 10 gal Igloo Cooler minus the false bottom.
I think you are adding cool water to cool down the pumpkin (212deg) to mash temp. If it were me I would let the pumpkin cool by itself.