Emergency::: Natural ferment happening in Pear Juice - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Emergency::: Natural ferment happening in Pear Juice

Old 10-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Washington D.C. Metro area

Ok,

So the expensive "pasteurized" pear I just obtained to make Perry has started to spontaneously ferment. Go figure.

What should I do - sulfite and stop that ferment and restart with an ale yeast - notty or such? Let the ferment work itself out and then add ale yeast?

Not panicking, but getting nervous... don't want all that good stuff wasted!

Thanks!

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

PITCH PITCH PITCH.
I have always wanted to do a spontaneous ferment....but for the money....that sucks.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Pitching underway... ok completed.

I lost 1/2 gallon through burst plastic jugs... the other 1/2 gallon jugs were also trying to explode on me... I had to release the pressure through opening them or I'm certain I would have woken uop to 6 gallons of pear juice floating around the basement.

Luckily I went down to fuss over my bitters and spotted the mess that hadn't been there 2 hours earlier when I was fussing with my mead.

Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Cugel
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Now I'm hoping that the wine yeast I piched will work out OK with fruit juice. I would have preferred to pitch notty or another englosh yeast. Oh well. Time will tell I guess.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Wine yeast will work fine, it will just be drier than with english yeast.